Potpourri starting Jan 10, 2010

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

skbilly
Bronze Member

Post by skbilly »

I ordered a New 520 yesterday, ETA 10 weeks!
cocacola1012
Gold Member

Post by cocacola1012 »

We Security Guards don't go shopping for magazine in the waiting rooms. It's just that when you look down at a table or see someone reading; it is never about woodworking.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

robinson46176 wrote:It generally isn't a good idea to run a device that will get a lot of hours with a drill .......
It struck me that a cheap cordless drill (or two) might be a cool low cost way to operate a little winch (or two) to raise and lower a headstock (or table) in drill press mode.
Has anybody tried that?
Great idea. Did dusty's pulley cartoon also have anything to do to foster that thought?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="cocacola1012"]We Security Guards don't go shopping for magazine in the waiting rooms. It's just that when you look down at a table or see someone reading]

Tongue in cheek! keep cool!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Change Of Topic

Post by dlbristol »

This is a totally random question, but one that caused a lot of discussion at a family christmas party. My brother re heated a cup of coffee in the microwave and the handle burned his finger! We have several coffee mugs that after several years of use get to hot to touch when placed in the microwave. This is not convection from the water, I've heated water and put it in the cup with no hot handle. I initially thought that it was the color or finish, but we now have several others of different colors and finishes that are doing the same thing. I can't find any obvious holes in the finish. Not important, but a "puzzle-ment" none the less. I think there has to be water getting under the finish. I'm always up for a good mystery, anyone have an idea?
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

nomoman wrote:Why doesn't anybody give away thier Woodworking Magazines?? I work Security at a hospital. Whenever I walk through the waiting rooms I see: Family Circle, Forbes, Rifleman, Readers Digest. But I never see: Woodsmith, Fine Woodworking, Wood, American Woodwork, etc. I wood like to see more magazines on the topic of woodworking...:D
A few weeks ago we invited a new family from church for dinner. Earlier in the gentleman's life he worked as an editor for Fine Woodworking Mag. When he arrived for our fine salmon meal he presented me with a bag full of about three years of early editions he no longer has any use for. I am truly enjoying this gift. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
cocacola1012
Gold Member

Post by cocacola1012 »

fjimp wrote:A few weeks ago we invited a new family from church for dinner. Earlier in the gentleman's life he worked as an editor for Fine Woodworking Mag. When he arrived for our fine salmon meal he presented me with a bag full of about three years of early editions he no longer has any use for. I am truly enjoying this gift. Jim
Jim, It seems you stumble onto all the good deals....
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

DLBristol;
You are correct that water is getting under the glaze of the handle and getting the handle as hot as the contents of the mug. When I have this happen Idestroy the mug to avoid further injury. Except if the mug is a collector's item. Such as my New Yankee mug or the Woodworking Unlimited mug which were sold when SS had the retail stores or the big white mug with the SS logo. I will keep these as displays if the glaze ever crcks.
Bill V
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

cocacola1012 wrote:Jim, It seems you stumble onto all the good deals....
Hmmm, interesting observation. One of my children claims I am a stumble bum. My granddaughter suggests I am a Klutz.

One of the advantages of living in a small community and having numerous clients who are craftsman, tradesmen or do business with these folks is hearing about opportunities. Yet as I think about it there are a number of folks taking part in this discussion group who I view as finding far better deals than I do. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

[quote="wa2crk"]DLBristol]
Thanks, I dump them too, but lately it seems that they get this way pretty quickly. Why do we not see any water bubbling out of the glaze? It seems reasonable that you might. MAybe I should not be so cheap and just get some new mugs.
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave