hall table

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Scottss
Nice work! I like the proportions of the piece. Is this your own design or did you use a plan?
Ed
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

It is a adaptation of a plan from woodsmith/plansnow. I changed the size to meet out needs. I plan on making end tables to match that style. With all the mortise cuts I may look harder at the opr. This weekend on the sawdust session Nick plans on starting a series on the opr that will probably convince me to purchase it. My only problem with the opr is having the power plant above the router arm. If I could pick up a freestanding one that wouldn't be a problem but that takes up floor space.
burnsrk
Silver Member

Opr

Post by burnsrk »

Scottss,

I bought the OPR when it was on sale and now is the time to buy it during the upgrade sale at 25% off. It is well worth it and probably the best price you will get. I also have the lift assist (which is now 10% off). It makes using the OPR a piece of cake and I highly recommend you include that with your purchase or save that purchase for Christmas. It may be on sale again at that time. I made a set of cherry night stands and used the OPR to rout out the mortises in the legs. It made the job much easier. Attached are a couple pictures of one of the night stands. The side view is unfinished but it shows you the size of the mortises.

Kevin B
Attachments
Table B Front view.jpg
Table B Front view.jpg (54.99 KiB) Viewed 12732 times
Side view.jpg
Side view.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 12736 times
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Nice work Kevin B. Oh I know I probably won't get a better price. You see I want to upgrade my ss to a 520 also and I can't do both right now. I could however get the mortise pkg and the 520 upgrade. I plan on making 2 end tables, 2 night stands and a bed frame all will be loaded with mortise and tenons. Also someone from our church wants an armoire like the one I just finished. I definitly have a lot of work ahead and need to plan things out. I also will need a new planer sooner or later. I have run hundreds of board feet through my low end delta and it has preformed pretty good. I would however like a 2 speed. Also I have been looking real hard at the sand flee.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

scottss wrote:Nice work Kevin B. Oh I know I probably won't get a better price. You see I want to upgrade my ss to a 520 also and I can't do both right now. I could however get the mortise pkg and the 520 upgrade. I plan on making 2 end tables, 2 night stands and a bed frame all will be loaded with mortise and tenons. Also someone from our church wants an armoire like the one I just finished. I definitly have a lot of work ahead and need to plan things out. I also will need a new planer sooner or later. I have run hundreds of board feet through my low end delta and it has preformed pretty good. I would however like a 2 speed. Also I have been looking real hard at the sand flee.
Scottss

Just a bit of advice on the planner. Don't let advertising hype drive you. A two speed planner is a two speed planner. I have used industrial planners from 15" up to 24" and the lunch box planners from the first Ryobi to a 2 speed Deltas and Dewalts and you know what? I usually have my 2 speed on the fastest feed rate and never think about shifting down to slower feed rate to get a better cut.

What I found to be most important is the sharpeness of the knives and how well I supportted long boards in and out of the planner. Also dust collection. If chips get blown back onto the board the pressure rollers can force them into the wood and make dents.

I frankly think the two speed feed on most planners today is nothing more than advertising hype to make us dissatisfied with our single speed and to spend money to buy this new feature.

Save your money buy some new blades, give your planner a coat of wax, clean it out good and keep going until you either run out of wood or the machine quits.
My opinion of two speed planners.
Ed
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I wholeheartedly agree, Ed!
The maker of my planer suggest using the fastest speed all of the time as it will save on blade sharpness. It's just a matter of making smaller cuts/
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

scottss wrote:Thanks for the comments. Now lets see some more work:)
[ATTACH]444[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]445[/ATTACH]
scottss wrote:Thanks for the comments. Now lets see some more work:)
O.K. Didn't want to but in on your table, but since you asked - Here is a pix of the couch table I made several years ago. Finish is 100% water base urethane. Made a duplicate for my Daughter-in-law last year. The second one has a different finish as she doesn't like shiny. That one is 100% Watco Golden oak. (no photo of that).

Only mechanical fasteners in these tables are the brads on the bottom rear of the drawers. Like yours, every joint is mortise and tenon. (really some are tongue and groove) Al joints interlock with others. It seems somewhat bothersome, as there is no room for wood movement. However no cracks yet.

The little rose (oak) and the letter opener (walnut) (poor showing) in the center of the table are some of my carvings.

The Butler tray table is also of oak. Now we are waiting to get a butler.;)
Attachments
HPIM1335.jpg
HPIM1335.jpg (119.99 KiB) Viewed 12733 times
HPIM1336.jpg
HPIM1336.jpg (136.35 KiB) Viewed 12740 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
burnsrk
Silver Member

Post by burnsrk »

Scottss,

I would go with the 520 first as well. You will get much more use out of it than the OPR. I also agree with Ed on the planer. Run yours until it dies and buy the OPR instead of a new planer. I have a DeWalt 13" and use the fast speed only.

Kevin