Sawdust session, again

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bruce
Platinum Member

Sawdust session, again

Post by Bruce »

Okay, hopefully someone at Shopsmith will see this. I have an Intel Macintosh computer running Safari 2 with the Flip4Mac windows media plugin (both are the latest update). According to the specs, I should be able to view the live sawdust session, but I can't. The instructions also say that if you still can't view the session that I should download a copy of IE and try that. Unfortunately, Microsux no longer offers the Mac version for download. In any case, the last version they released for the Mac was 5.2, I believe, and I'm sure it wouldn't have worked either. Therefore, Shopsmith needs to put some effort into making this work for us Mac users. I know there are others that read and contribute to this forum that also use Macs. And we also buy Shopsmith tools. We are people, too. Please help. I am signed up for the session Saturday but it looks like my 'seat' will be empty. :(
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I have the same type of machine (MacBook Pro) and am not having any problems viewing the sessions.

I am using Flip4Mac 2.1.2.72 or Windows Media Player for Mac both work.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

No problems for me either on my iMac.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

paulmcohen wrote:I have the same type of machine (MacBook Pro) and am not having any problems viewing the sessions.

I am using Flip4Mac 2.1.2.72 or Windows Media Player for Mac both work.
That's weird. I have version 2.1.1.70 and it says it's up-to-date. How did you get your version? I also have v9.0 of Windows Media Player.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Paul,
What browser are you using?

Bruce
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Safari Version 2.0.4 (419.3), Safari 3.0 is not ready for prime time.

I got my Flip4Mac from
feed://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/recent.rss
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

As for me, also Safari 2.0.4 (419.3) and I have flip4mac 2.1.1.70.

I think these files are streaming as .mp4 files however, rather than .wmv so flip4mac might not be needed. Perhaps try and update quicktime on your system. My quicktime player is version 7.2.0.

Paul
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

Guys they are mp4 files.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Thanks, guys. I also have Safari 2.0.4 and Quicktime 7.2. The difference between Flip4Mac 2.1.1.70 and 2.1.1.72 is not significant, according to the read-me, so it should work. I must have a setting wrong or something. I'll fiddle with it and try to get it going by Saturday.
rcoder
Gold Member

Mac User

Post by rcoder »

I have a desktop G4 and use Firefox and download the Mpeg4 and play in my Quicktime 7

All works well. I wish the resolution was higher but not all have a high speed fiber optic connection like myself. So don't make the viewing too large on screen.

Bob