Vintage PTWFE Tablesaw

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jm51
Gold Member

Post by jm51 »

Safety issues aside, imo those vids showed the potential of a SS much better than the 3 part SS demo on youtube.

I didn't realise that making box joints was so easy although seeing him cutting the 8 x 4 sheet made a good advert for guide rail saws. :)
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

jm51 wrote:I didn't realise that making box joints was so easy...
That's the method illustrated in PTWFE here. You just have to make sure your pin distance is dead on.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I sure hope that guy still has all of his fingers. Doing what he is demonstrating with no push blocks or push sticks just makes my skin crawl.

I enjoy the videos and they provide a lot of good information but definitely ignore safety practices.

Now - I am off to use my Multipurpose Power Tool.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

dusty wrote:I sure hope that guy still has all of his fingers. Doing what he is demonstrating with no push blocks or push sticks just makes my skin crawl.

I enjoy the videos and they provide a lot of good information but definitely ignore safety practices.

Now - I am off to use my Multipurpose Power Tool.
You mean your Modern Multipurpose Power Tool? ;)
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

[quote="heathicus"]You mean your Modern Multipurpose Power Tool? ]
"Todays" Modern Multipurpose Power Tool
R Hart
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mrhart wrote:"Todays" Modern Multipurpose Power Tool

Dusty doesn't have a PP (yet)!;) Nor do I.:(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

About safety...

Post by tomsalwasser »

The thing to remember is these films were made 60 years ago. Safety practices evolve. I'm sure 60 years from now people will look back and shake their heads at how unsafe the things we do in our shops today are.

I hope you're all enjoying these great old films as much as I do. But enough of my blathering, I have work to do.

Coming soon to a computer near you...the next installment of Vintage PTWFE: Drill Press and Drilling
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:OKAY I did that Tom. Three times.

I hope these films were made before push sticks and push blocks. It scares me every time he gets close to the blade and even more when he passes his hand over the blade while cutting dados and using the shaper.

My first cringe was when he cut those spline slots in those little narrow pieces with his fingers pushing them against the fence right down at the blade level. :eek: There were others. I also noticed that sometimes he appeared to be pushing with the miter gauge with one hand and maybe pushing with the other hand on the board on the other side of the blade. Good way to pinch the blade...
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

Interesting stuff! It sure did show some of the precision possible with the SS. I thought the way he cut a dado was a little scary. I would not have ever thought of doing what he did. I have cut each side and then nibbled out the middle one pass at a time, but moving the blade in and out never occurred to me. Probably a good thing.;)
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="dlbristol"]Interesting stuff! It sure did show some of the precision possible with the SS. I thought the way he cut a dado was a little scary. I would not have ever thought of doing what he did. I have cut each side and then nibbled out the middle one pass at a time, but moving the blade in and out never occurred to me. Probably a good thing.]
The quill fed blade to clean up a wide cut was de rigor in the demos even in the 60's.

One thing I noticed was he must have taught Norm technique, since he had a tendency to not hold the workpiece tight to the table top.

I think camera angle made some things appear more scarier. We could not see how far his pinkies were from the edge of the workpiece. A couple of places it looked like he was very close!!!

I look forward to the chapters to come.

Thank You for sharing them!

Gotta wonder where ya latched on to them!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange