jfisher
Bronze Member

saw blades

Post by jfisher »

How do you dress up a 10" saw blade?
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

You find a tailor that specializes in woodworking machinery.

With all good wishes,
rayjack
Gold Member

saw dressing

Post by rayjack »

But make sure he is a sharp dresser :) :)
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

rayjack wrote:But make sure he is a sharp dresser :) :)
Would that include sawspenders?:rolleyes:
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Yes, especially if he's getting long in the tooth
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm guessing the rest of the answers are not what you had in mind. My guess is that by dressing you mean the full process of sharpening. More like when you dress a grinding wheel or things like that.

In the old days of steel blades this was a common thing to do. It included gettting the blade back into round and setting the teeth and of course the filing of the teeth to get them shape again.

With the advent of the carbide and the more complex angles involved this is no longer the best way to get the job done... you need to find and use a processional with the proper equipment. If you buy really cheap blades you can also just replace the blade when it worn out. I have heard of people using diamond files to just touch up the teeth but I don't do this...

If you have an earlier copy of the shopsmith bible "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone" I believe they had instuctions on how to do the job, I'm not sure the newest edition(s) do??? Anyway it is fast becoming a lost art and unless you find some older books it is unlikely you will find the details you want.... how ever perhaps doing some seaches on google might work.

If you really can't find the answers I can try and explain the whole process as I've done it ... just not in the last 20-25 years or so.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

You're such a killjoy, Ed.;) But I have to admit, your answer was to the point.:D

With all good wishes,
drewa
Gold Member

Post by drewa »

Or you can get ideals from GQ or Esquire. I think I "saw dust" is the new black!
"When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way - before one began."

[INDENT][/INDENT]Friedrich Nietzsche
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

When one has finished building one's house, one suddenly realizes that in the process one has learned something that one really needed to know in the worst way - before one began.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Too bad Nietzche didn't realize that about his own life! The foundations are oh so critical!
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)