FREE DVDs for participation in Sawdust Session Test

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Nick
Platinum Member

FREE DVDs for participation in Sawdust Session Test

Post by Nick »

Folks, sorry for aborting the Friday test, but there was a good deal more to do to get set up for this test than we once thought. For one thing, the streaming service that we will test (VitalStream) gives us the choice of either streaming Windows Media or Flash. Drew and I spent Friday testing both formats and we've decided that we should test them both. I know that you Appleheads will be glad to hear that.

Drew and I will run these tests on Monday, October 22, between 3:00 pm Eastern (19:00 UTC) and 4:00 pm Eastern (20:00 UTC). For the first half hour, we will webcast in Flash and the second half hour in Windows Media. As I said before, for this test to be valid, we need to have as many people as possible view it -- we won't limit this viewing as we do with Sawdust Sessions. Furthermore, we need as many of you as possible to view it in both formats so we can properly compare the two. For those of you who would like to help, click this link at the appointed hour: http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Hands%2 ... e_test.htm. Make sure you have the latest Flask and Windows Media plug-ins!

Aside: I have know idea why the forum server keeps shortening the above link and inserting ellipses, but just in case the link doesn't work for you, take this and paste it into your browser's address box without the quote marks: "http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Hands%2 ... e_test.htm".

As you view the webcast in its various formats, please fill out a short questionairre to rate the audio and video quality of the webcast. Actually, we'll need you to take the test twice, once to evaluate the Flash stream and again to evaluate the Windows Media stream. We'll know which format you're evaluating because the Chatrooms will be different for each stream. Here's the text you will find just beneath the normal "classroom" page:

[INDENT]To evaluate the A/V stream that (we hope) you are seeing and hearing, Drew and I need for you to answer these simple questions via the Chatroom:

A. How would you rate the quality of the video:
1. Awful -- not viewable
2. Poor -- I can see some things
3. Acceptable -- I can see most of what is being shown.
4. Good -- I can see everything of importance.
5. Great -- I can see everything clearly.

B. How would you rate the quality of the audio:
1. Awful -- can't hear anything
2. Poor -- I can hear a few things
3. Acceptable -- I can hear most of what is being said.
4. Good -- I can hear everything of importance.
5. Great -- I can hear everything clearly.

C. Does the video seem jerky? That is, does it seem to freeze then jump ahead?
1. The video freezes for long periods of time, then jumps ahead.
2. The video freezes for short periods of time, then jumps ahead.
3. The video freezes every now and then for a few moments.
4. The video hardly freezes at all.
5. The video is continuous with no freezes.

D. Does the audio seem intermittent? That is, does it stop and come back on?
1. The audio stops for long periods of time, then comes back on.
2. The stops for for short periods of time, then comes back on.
3. The audio stops every now and then for a few moments.
4. The audio hardly stops at all.
5. The audio is continuous with no stops.

Enter your answers in the Chatroom like this: A-3, B-4, C-3, D-5. Include your NAME and MAILING ADDRESS so we can send you TWO FREE DVDs of our first two Sawdust Sessions.[/INDENT]

In appreciation of your help and kindness I will offer two favors in return. First, I will spend the entire hour -- perhaps more -- answering your woodworking questions -- any questions, provided it's about woodworking and woodworking machinery. Second, to anyone who sends me an A/V evaluation (and a mailing address) during the webcast, I will send you two free DVDs of our first two Sawdust Sessions as soon as they are available.

With all good wishes,
burnsrk
Silver Member

Testing sessions

Post by burnsrk »

Nick,

I would love to help out but some of us have to work from 3-4pm. While I am sure you don't like to work late, if you did a PM test session, some of us working folk would be glad to help out!

Kevin B
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Nick wrote: Click this link at the appointed hour: http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Hand...nline_test.htm.
The format of this link is not valid at least in Safari.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

It doesn't work in Internet Explorer either. Hopefully, they will post a working link on Monday morning.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I suspect it is because it is not show time yet.

post script 10/21/07: Whatever the "problem" was, it is no longer there. Go to Nick's message and click on the url (without modifying it) and it seems to work.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

The problem is in the format of the URL too many ...
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Yes there are too many ... However, if you remove them the link still doesn't work (with two .. one . or none). Just to check I built a test page on one of my web sites - called it "test...test.htm" then tried to click on a link with that name. No dice - or anything else except a "can not find the file" message.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I got some where by replacing the ... with the missing letters and _. give it a try. Not much to see.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

reible wrote:I got some where by replacing the ... with the missing letters and _. give it a try. Not much to see.

Ed
So I don't have to guess, can you just give us the correct URL?:rolleyes:
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
dusty
Platinum Member

Free DVDs for participation in Sawdust Session Test

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:I got some where by replacing the ... with the missing letters and _. give it a try. Not much to see.

Ed
I don't mean to be skeptical but I am.:)

How do you know that "some where" is where we all want to be"?:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.