I know the control key but where is the home key
I am with Firefox but on mac
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

I just found this ....
If we go completely down the page, there is the word "TOP" in the right corner, so it was already there or someone added it ... it is the first time that I go down completely. Because at the bottom of each page, there is that section where you can post, so we tend not to go all the way down ...
So "TOP" is the keyword of the day for me.

Sorry I first wrote this in the wrong thread ...
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

camerio wrote:I just found this ....
If we go completely down the page, there is the word "TOP" in the right corner, so it was already there or someone added it ... it is the first time that I go down completely. Because at the bottom of each page, there is that section where you can post, so we tend not to go all the way down ...
So "TOP" is the keyword of the day for me.

Sorry I first wrote this in the wrong thread ...
Tsk Tsk Tsk!!! :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

I have no idea about most species of wood and their proprieties.
I read every thing I find in an attempt to learn about woods and get confused.
I think there are a lot of newbs like me that would love to learn more.
I can't even identify most woods. I plan on doing a lot of woodworking and need to learn much more.
IMHO WOOD would make a great forum category by it's self.
After all... to learn woodworking without learning wood would be like.......
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
backhertz
Platinum Member

Post by backhertz »

Wood could probably warrant a forum totally devoted to it... It continues to amaze me. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know... But I will accept anything I can learn & would prefer to go to only one forum myself. I find the topics here to be very broad ranged & interesting.
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

backhertz wrote:Wood could probably warrant a forum totally devoted to it... It continues to amaze me. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know... But I will accept anything I can learn & would prefer to go to only one forum myself. I find the topics here to be very broad ranged & interesting.
Give some consideration to joining the forum here. This is Nick's website and it contains a great section of woods as well as many other topics.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

backhertz wrote:Wood could probably warrant a forum totally devoted to it... It continues to amaze me. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know... But I will accept anything I can learn & would prefer to go to only one forum myself. I find the topics here to be very broad ranged & interesting.

The wood experts in the U.S.A. are the guys at the Forest Products Laboratory,in Madison Wisconsin. Here is their site - Yes it is the Federal Government - http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/publications/several_pubs.php?grouping_id=100&header_id=p

They used to publish an annual book titled "The Wood Handbook" With the coming of the internet - they went electronic. Maybe they still publish a hard copy, I haven't checked. The annual books in the 1960s and 70s were about two inches thick. That's a lot of material!

One of the very best hard cover books I have found that discusses wood growth, characteristics and identification, etc. is "Identifying Wood" by R. Bruce Hoadley. This volume is just as handy as the old wood textbooks we had in Forestry School. I think you can buy one of those books on the internet.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

charlese wrote:The wood experts in the U.S.A. are the guys at the Forest Products Laboratory,in Madison Wisconsin. Here is their site - Yes it is the Federal Government - http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/publications/several_pubs.php?grouping_id=100&header_id=p

They used to publish an annual book titled "The Wood Handbook" With the coming of the internet - they went electronic.

The entire handbook is available "free" to you here. We all pay for it.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/publications/several_pubs.php?grouping_id=100&header_id=p&trending=yes
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
MikeG
Gold Member

Post by MikeG »

A hard copy for non members is available from their online store for $60 here: https://netforum.avectra.com/eweb/shopping/shopping.aspx?site=fps&prd_key=2ae9f734-a860-49be-b9b9-ad710e13094e
or the pdf version can be downloaded for no charge.
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

paulmcohen wrote:The entire handbook is available "free" to you here. We all pay for it. ...

Congratulations. You are one of the few people in this country who are aware what "free" from the government and "free, government funded" actually mean.

"We all pay for it."
(and millions of other things we have absolutely no use for.)
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;