Forum sections - suggestion

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

keakap wrote: "We all pay for it."
(and millions of other things we have absolutely no use for.)
Just because you have no need for something does not mean there is no need.
Many businesses have generated revenues from that particular book.
It is the job of our government to foster commerce and growth is it not??

IMHO comments like this really have no place on this forum. Go stalk one of the many I hate the government for my own personal reason (regardless of how valid those reasons are or not) forums/sites for comments like this.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

terrydowning wrote:Just because you have no need for something does not mean there is no need.

IMHO comments like this really have no place on this forum. Go stalk one of the many I hate the government for my own personal reason (regardless of how valid those reasons are or not) forums/sites for comments like this.

Oops! Someones political toes have been stomped on.

What I like about this forum is that discussions of this type are not specifically forbidden. I do avoid expressing my political opinions but I must in this case.

Ours Governments job is to do the will of "the people" and NOT the will of one party or another. It is my opinion that our Government has lost track of that. The most obvious example of that, during this administration, was the way the Affordable Care Act was rammed through Congress. This was not the will of the people. It WAS the will of the President.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Amen Dusty! And we are going to "fix" that problem in November.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

terrydowning wrote:Just because you have no need for something does not mean there is no need.

If businesses benefit then they should pay for it, that is what trade associations were invented for. The fact that people have forgotten governments function is why we are $16,000,000,000,000 in debt and counting. The job of the federal government is very clearly spelled out in the Constitution and I don't see foster commerce and growth listed.

My comment was not a I hate government comment just that nothing from the government is free.

If $16 trillion is too big a number to understand you personally owe $50,000 and so does every citizen in the US, and this does not even cover the $220 trillion owed in unfunded Medicare are Social Security payments.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

paulmcohen wrote:If businesses benefit then they should pay for it, that is what trade associations were invented for. The fact that people have forgotten governments function is why we are $16,000,000,000,000 in debt and counting. The job of the federal government is very clearly spelled out in the Constitution and I don't see foster commerce and growth listed.

My comment was not a I hate government comment just that nothing from the government is free.

If $16 trillion is too big a number to understand you personally owe $50,000 and so does every citizen in the US, and this does not even cover the $220 trillion owed in unfunded Medicare are Social Security payments.
I don't believe "the people" have forgotten. The federal Government seems to have an agenda that would, if not stopped, make the people wholly dependent on the Government.

What needs to be done, IMHO, is turn the decision making processes back to the individual states. Cut the size of the Federal Payroll. With that goes Federal Medical Expenses, Federal Pensions, Federal Operating costs, government sanctioned boon goggles, GSA seminars, et al.

In other words, create a federal BALANCED BUDGET and stick to it.

Yes, the entitlement programs (Medicare, Social Security and Federal Salaries and Pensions) will have to take a hit.

For a clue, I would propose that all governmental agencies that were either initiated or increased significantly in size over the last four years be evaluated for the purpose of elimination. Yup, unemployment will rise but if these people are worth what the Government pays them, they will find work elsewhere.

Cut up the Government credit cards and pay cash; borrow nothing from China.

The President and his entire security team does not need to personally visit the site of every national disaster, flood, or wind storm. Stay in Washington. Concentrate on real work. Manage the Government.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

fixit wrote:Amen Dusty! And we are going to "fix" that problem in November.
You can say that again! But whatever your political position, PLEASE, be sure to vote come November.

The Government has no way of knowing what "The People" really want if we do not vote. Without our vote, the voice of the PAC is the only voice heard.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Give me a break! I don't have a IHMO but I do have a very strong and not humble one. So. what are you going to do about it? Other than ranting here and feeling better about it, how many people will you contact to get them to vote? Will you take people from retirement homes to vote? I know I will and there is one a few miles from here that I will make sure every senior citizen can vote. College students? They vote too.

Read your history. The majority in Germany was opposed to Hitler but he was elected. The South Vietnamese hated Ngo Dinh Diem and his equally corrupt sister-in-law (mistress), but the Vietnamese ignored it and so did the US Government because they didn't give a rat's ass about anything but their own careers. Nothing has changed. Go back as far as you can in history. Those in power want to stay in power and will lie, cheat, steal, kill, deceive and do everything they can. Power is everything.

Power to the people means nothing unless you are willing to do something more than rant about it and declare that there will be a change in November. Nothing will change unless you do something other than vote. Your one vote doesn't count. How are you going to double, triple, quadrupole it?

Yes, your posting made you feel better. How will you feel on November if that's all you did? Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago? I damn sure am not. And I damn sure am going to do something about it other than just vote.
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

db5 wrote:Give me a break! I don't have a IHMO but I do have a very strong and not humble one. So. what are you going to do about it? Other than ranting here and feeling better about it, how many people will you contact to get them to vote? Will you take people from retirement homes to vote? I know I will and there is one a few miles from here that I will make sure every senior citizen can vote. College students? They vote too.

Read your history. The majority in Germany was opposed to Hitler but he was elected. The South Vietnamese hated Ngo Dinh Diem and his equally corrupt sister-in-law (mistress), but the Vietnamese ignored it and so did the US Government because they didn't give a rat's ass about anything but their own careers. Nothing has changed. Go back as far as you can in history. Those in power want to stay in power and will lie, cheat, steal, kill, deceive and do everything they can. Power is everything.

Power to the people means nothing unless you are willing to do something more than rant about it and declare that there will be a change in November. Nothing will change unless you do something other than vote. Your one vote doesn't count. How are you going to double, triple, quadrupole it?

Yes, your posting made you feel better. How will you feel on November if that's all you did? Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago? I damn sure am not. And I damn sure am going to do something about it other than just vote.

Why do you assume we aren’t DOING something about it? Not only am I talking to anyone who will listen but I plan to call my friends and family on Nov. 5th and remind them to vote. I’ll call on the 6th and make sure they have done so. BTW another thing you can do is take folks to the polls if they want to vote early. I’m offering that help to anyone who needs it.

I’m eating a lot of mac and cheese and supporting candidates in states other than mine with donations because I’m doing the best I can to change the majority in the Senate.

Many of us here are retired military and know full well what it means to DO something for our country. Your lecture doesn’t help anyone. However, your suggestion to help folks in retirement homes get to the polls does. I would suggest you take a more positive approach – harsh criticism doesn’t usually result in positive changes – helpful suggestions do. If you have any more – let’s have them!
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

db5 wrote:Give me a break! I don't have a IHMO but I do have a very strong and not humble one. So. what are you going to do about it? Other than ranting here and feeling better about it, how many people will you contact to get them to vote? Will you take people from retirement homes to vote? I know I will and there is one a few miles from here that I will make sure every senior citizen can vote. College students? They vote too.

I have made 1,000's of phone calls and will continue to do so, and I provide hard data to public forums and Facebook at every opportunity. What I will not do is let people talk about "Free Stuff" without educating them on who pays for this free stuff. But with 50% of the population addicted to spending other peoples money on their free stuff that may not be a fight I can win.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

admin wrote:Because we have thousands of posts the default for the search function is has a minimum of four letters. I got 178 results for "pen turning" and 14 results when only searching in titles.
I don't understand that. So, the Minimum of four letters seems to be critical? You get 178 searches? Yes, that can be difficult. So, rather than just passing it off as "I Can't deal with it, why not escalate it to another level to someone who can fix he problem/request. You don't need to control it or even own it, just pass it on to someone who can fix it. I'm sure your manager has covered this and you have forgotten. You can't remember everything.