Forum sections - suggestion

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

db5 wrote:I don't understand that. So, the Minimum of four letters seems to be critical? You get 178 searches? Yes, that can be difficult. So, rather than just passing it off as "I Can't deal with it, why not escalate it to another level to someone who can fix he problem/request. You don't need to control it or even own it, just pass it on to someone who can fix it. I'm sure your manager has covered this and you have forgotten. You can't remember everything.

The minimum search field is 4. Admin has no control of that. His management has no control of that. Only the owners of the software who have the source code have control of that.

Now I am sure they 'might' consider a change, but, who shall pay for the implementation cost, the cost to support a freak version and any other cost I am overlooking?

I am sure the 4 character minimum was derived after considerable trials with different values. Probably a compromise between speed and accuracy.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

db5 wrote:I don't understand that. So, the Minimum of four letters seems to be critical? You get 178 searches? Yes, that can be difficult. So, rather than just passing it off as "I Can't deal with it, why not escalate it to another level to someone who can fix he problem/request. You don't need to control it or even own it, just pass it on to someone who can fix it. I'm sure your manager has covered this and you have forgotten. You can't remember everything.

If you have problems finding things with the internal search there is always Google.

Just do a normal search and once you get the result go to the bottom of the page, click advanced search and enter in the domain box:

shopsmith.net/forums

You should be able to find what you need with Google precision.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

letterk wrote:If you have problems finding things with the internal search there is always Google.

Just do a normal search and once you get the result go to the bottom of the page, click advanced search and enter in the domain box:

shopsmith.net/forums

You should be able to find what you need with Google precision.

Where might one find them?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

JPG40504 wrote:Where might one find them?
Advanced Search is at the bottom of the page just below the word
Gooooooooooooogle
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

anmius wrote:Advanced Search is at the bottom of the page just below the word
Gooooooooooooogle

And what screen is that on ?

Sorry to be so persistent, but I do see any of that.

Nev mind! It is the page after a google search.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

JPG40504 wrote:And what screen is that on ?

Sorry to be so persistent, but I do see any of that.

Nev mind! It is the page after a google search.
Glad you found it!
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
john_520
Silver Member

A new product suggestion forum... parts compatibility forum

Post by john_520 »

Might be nice to have a sub forum to outline compatibility of various components between machines (10ER, Mk2, MK5 500-510-520, MK7, MK VII) if it hasn't been mentioned already, something new users often struggle with (on eBay at least) if doing so isn't a conflict of interest with SS sales dept.
The convenience of having it all on one forum would drastically reduce time having to search for the answers and/or phone inquiries.

ie- will 10AE base tubes fit on a MK5,
ie- Can a 10 AE scroll saw be adapted for use on a MK5
ie- All differences between 500 - 505 -510 -520 models including power attachments (like 1 1/4" 500 saw arbor vs 1 1/4" 510 saw arbor
JPG
Platinum Member

Model 'Compatibility'

Post by JPG »

john_520 wrote:Might be nice to have a sub forum to outline compatibility of various components between machines (10ER, Mk2, MK5 500-510-520, MK7, MK VII) if it hasn't been mentioned already, something new users often struggle with (on eBay at least) if doing so isn't a conflict of interest with SS sales dept.
The convenience of having it all on one forum would drastically reduce time having to search for the answers and/or phone inquiries.

ie- All differences between 500 - 505 -510 -520 models including power attachments (like 1 1/4" 500 saw arbor vs 1 1/4" 510 saw arbor

All WAY tubes are 52" long and 1 3/4" od.
All Mark 2/5/V/7 bench tubes are 52 3/4" long. M2 bench tubes may be wood.
Mark VII bench tubes are 52" long, but are connected to each other by the tilt pivot stuff.
Greenies have 1 7/8" bench tubes
Older goldies(Gilmer) have 1 7/8" bench tubes.
Later models have 1 3/4" bench tubes.
A 10E/R jig saw will only fit on a 10E/R

Way tube spacing on a M2/5/VII/V/7 is 7".

Way tube spacing is 5 1/2" on a 10E/R.

Table support tubes on a 10E/R are 1" od(may be solid).

Table support tubes on a M2/5/VII/V/7 are 1 1/4" od.

Table support tube spacing on a 10E/R is 10".

Table support tube spacing on a M2/5/VII/500 is 12".

Table support tube spacing on a 505/510/520 is 15 1/2"

505-520 models require longer saw arbors due to the tables.

SPT mounting tubes are 1 1/4" od and spaced 7".

None of the 'current' SPT's fit a 10E/R(but inventive users have solved that).

Anything that attaches to the quill will fit ANY model including the 10E/R.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

john_520 wrote:Might be nice to have a sub forum to outline compatibility of various components between machines (10ER, Mk2, MK5 500-510-520, MK7, MK VII) if it hasn't been mentioned already, something new users often struggle with (on eBay at least) if doing so isn't a conflict of interest with SS sales dept.

Yes, it would be nice if all the posts on this forum were neatly organized and properly categorized so that they could be found. But I have given up on that idea and probably have become one of the greatest offenders.

Good luck.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:All WAY tubes are 52" long and 1 3/4" od.
All Mark 2/5/V/7 bench tubes are 52 3/4" long.
Greenies have 1 7/8" bench tubes
Older goldies(Gilmer) have 1 7/8" bench tubes.
Later models have 1 3/4" bench tubes.
A 10E/R jig saw will only fit on a 10E/R

505-520 models require longer saw arbors due to the tables.

None of the 'current' SPT's fit a 10E/R(but inventive users have solved that).

Anything that attaches to the quill will fit ANY model including the 10E/R.

Except for length, are all bench tubes and all way tubes physically interchangeable?

I would love to have a full set of 10ER tubes to play with.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.