Forum sections - suggestion

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

rjent wrote:I agree that that is a good idea. However, the tutorials are time consuming to write. Someone has to organize (like Mickyd did) them. JPG, as have others, already written a few that could simply be linking from an "organization" page. It would take some effort, but I think a nice asset to this forum...

JMHO

Dick
Seems to me that all we need to do, is get a thread, with links to the other tutorial threads on it, and have our Admin make it a "sticky." Only problem, no one reads "stickies." (Seen it at too many Forums, by now. Has to do with the RTFM rule, which men just don't do.)(Oh, RTFM, stands for Read the ------ {service?} Manual.)

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

skou wrote:Seems to me that all we need to do, is get a thread, with links to the other tutorial threads on it, and have our Admin make it a "sticky." Only problem, no one reads "stickies." (Seen it at too many Forums, by now. Has to do with the RTFM rule, which men just don't do.)(Oh, RTFM, stands for Read the ------ {service?} Manual.)

steve

Really?

[ATTACH]26464[/ATTACH]
Attachments
sticky.jpg
sticky.jpg (62.08 KiB) Viewed 42134 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

JPG, this place may be the exception that proves the rule, but in my (never to be) humble opinion, the best place to hide ANYTHING, is to hide it in a "sticky."

But then, those other Fora were computer "geek" type fora. Here, where people are used to "RTFM," this is a different story.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

JPG wrote:Really?

[ATTACH]26464[/ATTACH]
Oh, the second example, last post was early into BHO's FIRST administration. And, it was the thread starter, MickyD.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.

heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

This forum uses an older version of the vBulletin software. Version 3.5.4 to be precise. The current version of vBulletin is 5.0. I don't know which version added the Library function, but I would guess it would require an update to the software to get that functionality. The vBulletin software is not free and I think Admin mentioned once before somewhere that upgrading was not in the budget. There are free equivalents - such as phpBB that my other favorite forum uses. I don't know if it's possible to transition all the old posts to new software. I would hate to lose all the old posts in a transition to new software.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

skou wrote:Oh, the second example, last post was early into BHO's FIRST administration. And, it was the thread starter, MickyD.

steve
Yes It was a good start. Wish it were more complete.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

PHPBB

Post by JPG »

heathicus wrote:This forum uses an older version of the vBulletin software. Version 3.5.4 to be precise. The current version of vBulletin is 5.0. I don't know which version added the Library function, but I would guess it would require an update to the software to get that functionality. The vBulletin software is not free and I think Admin mentioned once before somewhere that upgrading was not in the budget. There are free equivalents - such as phpBB that my other favorite forum uses. I don't know if it's possible to transition all the old posts to new software. I would hate to lose all the old posts in a transition to new software.
So!!!! :eek:

Now we know who IS to blame for all the current thrashing! :D

No make that 'responsible' not 'to blame'. :cool:

THANKS! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

STB
Gold Member

Re: Forum sections - suggestion

Post by STB »

Thanks rpd for posting how to addtext to hyper links . As a note when you hover over the URL button there is an example of how to add text to a url. Now if we could get spell check back (for those of us that are selling challenged)that would be a help.
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Just 'testing' ;) !
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

Stumpbuster wrote:Thanks rpd for posting how to addtext to hyper links . As a note when you hover over the URL button there is an example of how to add text to a url. Now if we could get spell check back (for those of us that are selling challenged)that would be a help.
Which browser are you using?

Chrome, Opera, Firefox, as others, have spell checking built in. IE still does not for some reason. :confused:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin