Forum sections - suggestion

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Except for length, are all bench tubes and all way tubes physically interchangeable?

I would love to have a full set of 10ER tubes to play with.

That and the od of the bench tubes on the earlier mark 5's.

The 10e/r tubes are much thicker!!!(and heavier).

A 'full set' of 10E/R tubes is two way tubes.

FWIW the 'lower tubes' on a Mark VII are the same length as the way tubes(52"), but have those holes for the tilt pivot, and there is that gear rack on the 'front' way tube.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
john_520
Silver Member

Post by john_520 »

Thanks for your speedy reply JPG40504. :)

Can anyone tell me what the tube spacing is for 10ER tubes ?
MK5 ways are spaced 7" apart (center to center) and wondered if 10ER spacing is the same or a bit different ?
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

JPG40504 wrote:All WAY tubes are 52" long and 1 3/4" od.
All Mark 2/5/V/7 bench tubes are 52 3/4" long.
Greenies have 1 7/8" bench tubes
Older goldies(Gilmer) have 1 7/8" bench tubes.
Later models have 1 3/4" bench tubes.
A 10E/R jig saw will only fit on a 10E/R

505-520 models require longer saw arbors due to the tables.

None of the 'current' SPT's fit a 10E/R(but inventive users have solved that).

Anything that attaches to the quill will fit ANY model including the 10E/R.
You might want to check on the Mark 2 bench 'tubes'.....in some cases they may have been 2x4's.;)
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

If this isn't spam, I'll eat my hat!

steve
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

skou wrote:If this isn't spam, I'll eat my hat!

steve

Why do you think so?

The 2x4 is not far fetched.

AIUI there were M2 with wooden 'bench' 'rails'.

My M2 'pieces' are mounted on 3/4" plywood with doubled grooved 1x3 sides using M5 way tubes.

The end castings appear to have been originally mounted to wood since a square socket is cast in them.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

It seems that our Admin deleted the spammer, as well as his (her) posts.

And, left me talking to myself.:o

steve
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

skou wrote:It seems that our Admin deleted the spammer, as well as his (her) posts.

And, left me talking to myself.:o

steve

Well glad to hear you were not hallucinating. FWIW, he missed one!

Something good(I think) came from this, I added to a previous post in this thread due to some 'intervening' posts which I had previously 'missed'.

Model Differences
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I love this forum, check in several times a day and read every post.
I also belong to several Yahoo groups, I find the format there is not as easy to navigate and since the "improvements":confused: Yahoo made earlier this year the traffic has dropped to almost nothing. The one thing I do like about the Yahoo sites is the Files section which allows reference material to be stored and easily found and downloaded by other users.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
rpd
Platinum Member

Add a library section to the forum.

Post by rpd »

I love this forum, check in several times a day and read every post. I like the feeling of community and shared interest. I don't find writing a quick or easy process but I do post if I feel I have something of value to add to the discussion.

I also belong to several Yahoo groups, I find the format there is not as easy to navigate and since the "improvements":confused: Yahoo made earlier this year the traffic has dropped to almost nothing.

The one thing I do like about the Yahoo sites is the Files section which allows reference material to be stored and easily found and downloaded by other users.

This summer I got interested in turning pens and joined the IAP (International Association of Penturners) forum. The part of that site that I have used the most is the Library which contains Tutorials written by the members and stored as PDF files.

I was happy to see that the IAP forum is powered by vBulletin software, as is this forum.

That means that it should also be technically possible to implement a Library section here.:)

I would like to hear what others think, but I believe this could provide a more flexible format for tutorials and articles such as the ones that have been written by JPG, reible, mickyd and others over the years and also make them more accessible to the other users of this forum.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

rpd wrote:I love this forum, check in several times a day and read every post. I like the feeling of community and shared interest. I don't find writing a quick or easy process but I do post if I feel I have something of value to add to the discussion.

I also belong to several Yahoo groups, I find the format there is not as easy to navigate and since the "improvements":confused: Yahoo made earlier this year the traffic has dropped to almost nothing.

The one thing I do like about the Yahoo sites is the Files section which allows reference material to be stored and easily found and downloaded by other users.

This summer I got interested in turning pens and joined the IAP (International Association of Penturners) forum. The part of that site that I have used the most is the Library which contains Tutorials written by the members and stored as PDF files.

I was happy to see that the IAP forum is powered by vBulletin software, as is this forum.

That means that it should also be technically possible to implement a Library section here.:)

I would like to hear what others think, but I believe this could provide a more flexible format for tutorials and articles such as the ones that have been written by JPG, reible, mickyd and others over the years and also make them more accessible to the other users of this forum.
I agree that that is a good idea. However, the tutorials are time consuming to write. Someone has to organize (like Mickyd did) them. JPG, as have others, already written a few that could simply be linking from an "organization" page. It would take some effort, but I think a nice asset to this forum...

JMHO

Dick
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin