Nova G3 packages

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wgander
Gold Member

Nova G3 packages

Post by wgander »

Sale has 3 Nova deals but I don't know the difference.
First is the Nova G3, then there are two pen turning packages.
Do the two pen turning packages include the Nova G3?
If that's true, the second package is one dollar less than the Nova G3 alone....

Bill
psikes
Gold Member

Re: Nova G3 packages

Post by psikes »

I ordered the Nova pen turning kit and lucky me, the supplier provided the Supernova2 chuck instead of the Nova G3. Not sure if they have more like this or not but it may be a good time to order one.

Phil
wgander
Gold Member

Post by wgander »

What's the difference between the Supernova 2 and the G3?
psikes
Gold Member

Post by psikes »

I have never owned the G3 but Nova says it is much beefier. It is a substantial hunk of heavy duty metal. It’s a little cold in my shop right now for turning anything but I can hardly wait to start learning to use it.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'm pretty sure Santa Clause ordered the Nova G3 on sale from Shopsmith for me. Be nice if they sent something heftier but I suspect your 'supplier' wasn't Shopsmith.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

wgander wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:47 am What's the difference between the Supernova 2 and the G3?
The SuperNova2 is a bit larger, a bit heavier, has a bit larger capacity, and the key for tightening is a hex key.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
psikes
Gold Member

Post by psikes »

Mine did come direct from Shopsmith. There was a small disclaimer notice that the supplier had included the Supernova2 chuck rather than the G3. I took a few minutes this morning to sharpen my lathe tools so if I get a warm enough day I can give it a spin.

Phil
rogersk
Gold Member

Post by rogersk »

Here's what Teknatool says the differences between G3 and Supernova 2 are on their web page (spoiler alert, pretty much what rpd said):

https://teknatool.freshdesk.com/support ... -supernova
wgander
Gold Member

Post by wgander »

Thanks for the link. The G3 is all the Shopsmith needs (based on max diameter of bowls). Price comparisons have to include capability to mount on a Shopsmith. If the adapter is not included....
psikes
Gold Member

Post by psikes »

My SuperNova2 came with the Shopsmith adapter, very beefy indeed. It's not like I needed the SuperNova2 for my shop smith but if I ever do add a dedicated late it is good to know that it is capable of turning larger bows, plates or banjo rims.