New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New Shopsmith DC-6000 Dust Collector

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:08 pm
DLB wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:11 am As discussed earlier in this thread I had intended to buy the upgrade kit until I received incorrect information from CS indicating that the kit did not include a fan/impeller. I compounded CS' error for them by reporting that information here. At the time the introductory/sale pricing ended we were in the dark as to the actual content of the kit. I'm happy to report that SS CS has made this right for me by offering to honor the original introductory pricing special on the upgrade kit. If others were impacted by the incorrect content description it might be worthwhile to contact CS and explain the situation. SS CS (Denise) seemed well aware of both the absence of information on the web site at the time of the sale and of the timing of the misinformation and corrected information.

I didn't ask for this resolution. I had made the recommendation to CS that they place the item back on sale. Which I still think would be the best choice, but perhaps is not practical for the MS.

Note - Upgrade kits are backorder, or were last week when I ordered.

- David
My order, previously back ordered, is now in shipping channels.
No longer in shipping channels. It is in my shop, unpackaged and ready to install. I now need to dismantle the DC-3300 and make it ready for installation. Can't do that today and probably not tomorrow due to scheduling conflicts but soon. I took some pictures but they add nothing to those already posted here.

Delivered a day earlier than projected.

Now...what to do with the old parts.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

I have completed my DC3300 to DC6000 upgrade. My original DC3300 was purchased new in1996 and still had the original motor and blower. I did add a mid size hood to my original DC3300 about 15 years ago. It took longer to do the deep clean on the remaining DC3300 parts than it did taking the old motor and blower out. The upgrade process was easy to follow using the ShopSmith provided instructions. It took me about 1-1/2 hours to complete. The new motor is less noisy.

Last year I bought a second DC3300 for $75 used and I put the same mid-sized hood on it too. I don’t have any way to measure the suction volume,but when I use my hand (I know unscientific) I don’t feel a huge difference when placing the two side-by-side and running both at the same time. Next time I am running the table saw I plan on using the DC3300 and seeing how well it does on the same length of cut vs the upgraded DC6000. I’ll report back here my observations when I complete the task. Heat index is expected to be extremely high the next several days

One other thing…. While performing the upgrade one has to remove the ShopSmith provided three-way inlet. I went thru my accumulated assortment of misfit dust collection adapters and found a Woodcraft Woodriver y-shape splitter. Two were 2-1/2 inch and the larger opening fit snugly into the new retrofitted larger DC6000 provided by ShopSmith in the upgrade kit. So this Woodriver adapter will not fit the DC3300 inlet with the 3 way inlet removed. Not sure I would gain any added suction. Just found it interesting that a larger misfit dust collection adapter did fit the new DC 6000

Update - So on 8/1/21 I did the table saw rip cut test comparing the DC 6000 upgrade to the second DC 3000 for dust control. All ports were open and I ripped the same board. Used the exact same hose too. The dust pickup looked the same to me. So for me the only advantage for buying the DC6000 upgrade was retiring a 1996 1/2 hp motor with a less noisy motor, the introductory price of $279.99, and the $30.00 gift card. I have always been loyal to ShopSmith and overall I am okay with my purchase of the upgrade. If my opinion changes with more use I’ll post an update
Last edited by ssuel on Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:48 pm No longer in shipping channels. It is in my shop, unpackaged and ready to install. I now need to dismantle the DC-3300 and make it ready for installation. Can't do that today and probably not tomorrow due to scheduling conflicts but soon. I took some pictures but they add nothing to those already posted here.

From previously posted pictures I guess the parts are partially assembled, but if at all possible would you post a picture of the new motor data plate? I'm still wondering if the HP claims are apples-to-apples, and about the 1-1/2HP on 8 Amps concept. Some part of this remains a mystery.

There may be a market for some of the old parts on ebay. I saw a recent sale of a motor, I think it was somewhere near $100 plus shipping. And impellers remain on the SS list of most frequently bought parts.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:13 pm
dusty wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:48 pm No longer in shipping channels. It is in my shop, unpackaged and ready to install. I now need to dismantle the DC-3300 and make it ready for installation. Can't do that today and probably not tomorrow due to scheduling conflicts but soon. I took some pictures but they add nothing to those already posted here.

From previously posted pictures I guess the parts are partially assembled, but if at all possible would you post a picture of the new motor data plate? I'm still wondering if the HP claims are apples-to-apples, and about the 1-1/2HP on 8 Amps concept. Some part of this remains a mystery.

There may be a market for some of the old parts on ebay. I saw a recent sale of a motor, I think it was somewhere near $100 plus shipping. And impellers remain on the SS list of most frequently bought parts.

- David
Can't do. The unit comes fully assembled and only the end cap of the motor is visible and then only partially. I have the Motor and Fan Housing already installed but has not been run yet. Got side tracked by life.
DC-6000 - mine.PNG
DC-6000 - mine.PNG (742.68 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I assume that is a cooling fan on the back end of the motor? So air over motor cooling.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:30 am I assume that is a cooling fan on the back end of the motor? So air over motor cooling.
Interesting. If the housing is similar to DC-3300 air inlet and exhaust are both through the opening we see in that pic. But the 3300 has air flow through the motor, effectively making two ducts controlling the in/out flow. It is less clear, from the pics, how this one works. I like the idea of the motor being enclosed, especially if it is sealed. And cooled.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:30 am I assume that is a cooling fan on the back end of the motor? So air over motor cooling.
As you, I assume that the fins in this picturing are for cooling of the motor but there is no thru flow that I can find. The fins just keep the air moving. However, it appears that the DC-3300 is the same.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

DLB wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:29 am
Interesting. If the housing is similar to DC-3300 air inlet and exhaust are both through the opening we see in that pic. But the 3300 has air flow through the motor, effectively making two ducts controlling the in/out flow. It is less clear, from the pics, how this one works. I like the idea of the motor being enclosed, especially if it is sealed. And cooled.

- David
I see very little that is similar between the two. Yes, functionally they are identical but not physically,
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Pictures of the motor from my upgrade kit, with a closeup of the label:

DC-6000 Motor
DC-6000 Motor
IMG_9063 (2).JPG (308.12 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Label Closeup
Label Closeup
IMG_9064 (2).JPG (129.58 KiB) Viewed 910 times

Initial impressions: The label has somewhat less information than I'm accustomed to. The motor is very quiet, the cooling fan noise is by far the loudest thing I hear. It does not make the loud click during deceleration that we associate with a centrifugal start switch. It runs CW when viewed from the shaft end, opposite of the DC-3300 motor. Relating to that direction of rotation, the bolt that holds the fan/impeller on the shaft is left-hand thread. The cooling fan is of smaller diameter than the end cap of the motor. The cooling approach remains unclear to me, but among the differences note that the motor is bolted to the metal fan housing and the shaft is bolted to a metal impeller/fan, both in contrast with plastic composite on the DC-3300. Given the claimed efficiency of the motor and this enhanced conductive cooling, over the motor cooling might not be relevant. But as a PowerPro owner I'm skeptical of the cooling, trust but verify. Like the DC-3300, the motor housing is essentially five sides of a box with one end partially open to a grate. On the DC-3300 though, cooling air inside the motor is moving one direction and exhaust air on the outside is moving the other. I'm sure there is recirculation of some of the heated air, but there is a defined and clear forced-air flow path. (Like a conventional headstock Vs. PowerPro.) I'll try to work out a way to monitor motor case temperature when I install it.

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Here are new/old fan/impeller comparison photos. Noticeable changes include material, construction, diameter, height, direction of rotation, blade shape, and number of blades. I didn't mention it on the motor, but shaft diameter and key size are slightly different (metric Vs. SAE) between new and old. In both photos, the new one is on the left.

New and old impeller
New and old impeller
IMG_9065 (3).JPG (283.72 KiB) Viewed 877 times
New and old impeller
New and old impeller
IMG_9066 (2).JPG (179.27 KiB) Viewed 877 times
I have taken to calling these fan/impellers because the DC-3300 version is called an impeller and the DC-6000 version a fan. To me, they are both impellers. Perhaps there is some nuance in the definitions.(?)

Neither the DC-6000 fan/impeller nor motor have any indication as to who made them. I found that surprising on the motor (which does say made in China, but does not identify the manufacturer).

- David