3.5HP Router or Spindle Purchase???

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: 3.5HP Router or Spindle Purchase???

Post by JPG »

What does Milwaukee say about the shaft?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

So the inside diameter/shape of regular wood working router spindles (i.e. PC, Bosch, Milwaukee etc.) does not match the ER profile. Am I understanding that correctly? So PreciseBits is making an ER "style" collet that fits non ER router spindles. The Woodpeckers Spinrite spindle does match and works with ER collets. Another + for Woodpeckers.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:51 pm What does Milwaukee say about the shaft?
I couldn't find any specs from Milwaukee regarding the shaft. I did fine a FWW article where they measured the runout on it, but that was a 2005 article so who knows if the manufacturing tolerances are still the same.

"When checked for arbor runout, the 5625-20 measured 0.0015 in. That compares to an average of 0.0042 in. in a test we did of midsize, fixed-base routers about two years ago. "
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:55 pm So the inside diameter/shape of regular wood working router spindles (i.e. PC, Bosch, Milwaukee etc.) does not match the ER profile. Am I understanding that correctly? So PreciseBits is making an ER "style" collet that fits non ER router spindles. The Woodpeckers Spinrite spindle does match and works with ER collets. Another + for Woodpeckers.
Don't different routers have different size threads potentially? Also, ID/OD could vary a bit. Kind of wishing that I had waited now and bought the Woodpeckers one, but I already have the Milwaukee and have taken it apart and put it back together already. Had to remove the depth adjustment screw since it isn't needed for the lift and is in the way.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:04 pm
jsburger wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:55 pm So the inside diameter/shape of regular wood working router spindles (i.e. PC, Bosch, Milwaukee etc.) does not match the ER profile. Am I understanding that correctly? So PreciseBits is making an ER "style" collet that fits non ER router spindles. The Woodpeckers Spinrite spindle does match and works with ER collets. Another + for Woodpeckers.
Don't different routers have different size threads potentially? Also, ID/OD could vary a bit. Kind of wishing that I had waited now and bought the Woodpeckers one, but I already have the Milwaukee and have taken it apart and put it back together already. Had to remove the depth adjustment screw since it isn't needed for the lift and is in the way.
I think that is the point. ER is a precision standard. Wood working routers have no standard for their collets except the shaft diameter of the bits that will fit. ER collets are not only precision inside but precision outside. They also have a precise/optimal outside shape. The outside is what makes the difference. Kudos to Woodpeckers for supplying their router motor with an ER compliant spindle. Another example of their quest for quality.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:19 pm I think that is the point. ER is a precision standard. Wood working routers have no standard for there collets except the shaft diameter of the bits that will fit. ER collets are not only precision inside but precision outside. They also have a precise/optimal outside shape. The outside is what makes the difference.
John,

Thanks. Yeah, I am new to ER collets. I mean, I had heard of them before, but never used them so I am learning here and appreciate the feedback. I am just surprised that they sell ER20 collets for several other routers, and they have a 1/8" ER20 collet for my Milwaukee, but no other options apparently. I know Elaire (https://elairecorp.com/milwaukeeroutercollets.html) sells collets that look similar to ER, but they are NOT labeled as an ER collet. Unfortunately they have no specs on their website for the Milwaukee compatible collets. I will contact them next if PreciseBits confirms they have no products (ER or otherwise) that would work for me.
📶RF Guy

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:26 pm
jsburger wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:19 pm I think that is the point. ER is a precision standard. Wood working routers have no standard for there collets except the shaft diameter of the bits that will fit. ER collets are not only precision inside but precision outside. They also have a precise/optimal outside shape. The outside is what makes the difference.
John,

Thanks. Yeah, I am new to ER collets. I mean, I had heard of them before, but never used them so I am learning here and appreciate the feedback. I am just surprised that they sell ER20 collets for several other routers, and they have a 1/8" ER20 collet for my Milwaukee, but no other options apparently. I know Elaire (https://elairecorp.com/milwaukeeroutercollets.html) sells collets that look similar to ER, but they are NOT labeled as an ER collet. Unfortunately they have no specs on their website for the Milwaukee compatible collets. I will contact them next if PreciseBits confirms they have no products (ER or otherwise) that would work for me.
Go back and look again. They are not selling ER collets for wood working routers. They are selling "ER-like" collets. That is what Roy said in one of his posts. From the Precisebits web page for the Milwaukee router...

https://www.precisebits.com/products/eq ... p&filter=3

"Based on the ER Spring-Collet / Nut architecture, the Think & Tinker family of precision collets and nuts was designed to bring the precision and flexibility of expensive high frequency spindles to low-cost, consumer and professional grade routers."

They are not ER collets. They just look like them. Look at the top of the page. It says Think & Tinker Ltd. not ER-20.

Yes their web site is very confusing as to what they are really selling.

BTW, they are now listing 3/16 and 1/4 collets.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:41 pm Go back and look again. They are not selling ER collets for wood working routers. They are selling "ER-like" collets. That is what Roy said in one of his posts. From the Precisebits web page for the Milwaukee router...

https://www.precisebits.com/products/eq ... p&filter=3

"Based on the ER Spring-Collet / Nut architecture, the Think & Tinker family of precision collets and nuts was designed to bring the precision and flexibility of expensive high frequency spindles to low-cost, consumer and professional grade routers."

They are not ER collets. They just look like them. Look at the top of the page. It says Think & Tinker Ltd. not ER-20.

Yes their web site is very confusing as to what they are really selling.

BTW, they are now listing 3/16 and 1/4 collets.
Thanks John. Wow, I missed that. Yes, their webpage is very confusing. Perhaps this is why my questions kept getting confusing answers back from him then. All I really wanted was a higher quality (more precise) aftermarket collet, if it exists for the Milwaukee. Maybe I should just wait until I have this beast mounted and measure runout on it. Milwaukee does sell additional collets that look ER like and are labeled as "Self-Releasing Collet and Locking Nut Assembly". I wonder if these are higher quality versions (8 segment design) than the cheap collet (4 segment design) that came with the router to begin with.
📶RF Guy

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

The additional discussion is interesting and has helped me. I have a Bosch 1617 so I now know about availability of precision collets (& nuts). I'm not completely convinced that so much of the runout (mine measures ~0.004") is attributed to the collet/nut. But I saw a video on this product line that seems to confirm it. I don't own any router bits that don't have a 1/4" or 1/2" shank, so the additional sizes (okay, maybe excepting 8mm, which they don't offer) available don't really appeal to me, but I'm tempted by the claimed improvement in runout.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

DLB wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 pm The additional discussion is interesting and has helped me. I have a Bosch 1617 so I now know about availability of precision collets (& nuts). I'm not completely convinced that so much of the runout (mine measures ~0.004") is attributed to the collet/nut. But I saw a video on this product line that seems to confirm it. I don't own any router bits that don't have a 1/4" or 1/2" shank, so the additional sizes (okay, maybe excepting 8mm, which they don't offer) available don't really appeal to me, but I'm tempted by the claimed improvement in runout.

- David
David,

Thanks. By the way, the guy from PreciseBits sent me the video link below for reference on the improvement in runout using their collets in a router table, if you are interested. The guy in the video has a Porter Cable 7515 router. According to PreciseBits, even their standard grade (lowest precision) shows significant improvement in runout over standard router collets/nuts that he doesn't recommend the higher precision collets they sell to router table users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-eNA7M ... KevinRiley
📶RF Guy