Woodpeckers Pocket Compass

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Woodpeckers Pocket Compass

Post by RFGuy »

Okay, I had ignored this new product from Woodpeckers until I saw a video of it on IG this morning. What caught my attention is that I see A LOT of wobble around the pivot point in the video while he is drawing a circle with it. I am really surprised that Woodpeckers would release a product like this given the limitations that I saw in the video. Wondering if anyone would buy this product and if I am being too harsh on it? Unfortunately I can't post the IG video here, but if you look closely at the pivot point in the video below you might see what I am talking about. In the IG video, this wobbling/rocking of the pivot point was much more pronounced than this YT video. To me it looks like this compass is really designed to work with a center hole in the wood underneath. Without this, the large center pin of the pocket compass has some amount of play that by holding pressure on top of it, the rail seems to wobble around this pivot. Either this or it is just that the center pin seems to not stay perfectly vertical but can lean a bit side to side. Doesn't seem like a precision setup to me, which surprises me since this is a Woodpeckers product and they tend to be known for precision in woodworking. I see the benefit of a product like this because it has a scale built in which is very nice, but I will keep using my drafting compass and a ruler. At least with a good drafting compass you can lock it in position so once the distance is set it won't move on you.

https://www.woodpeck.com/ott-pocket-compass-2021.html

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Woodpeckers Pocket Compass

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Not sure what you are seeing but I did not see any wobble. That said but without actually handling the tool to see how loose or snug the fit of the pivot pin in the pivot hole it is hard to say if there is a lost of precision.
I carry and use a compass but rarely to draw a circle or arc, my normal use of a compass is as a scribe and dividers. It comes in handy to catch a measurement that is too narrow to get a rule or tape in.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:43 am Not sure what you are seeing but I did not see any wobble. That said but without actually handling the tool to see how loose or snug the fit of the pivot pin in the pivot hole it is hard to say if there is a lost of precision.
I carry and use a compass but rarely to draw a circle or arc, my normal use of a compass is as a scribe and dividers. It comes in handy to catch a measurement that is too narrow to get a rule or tape in.
Ed,

Thanks. Do you have Instagram (or Facebook)? If so, check out the video at the link below. The IG video shows it very clearly because it is a zoomed shot in portrait orientation, probably taken on an iPhone, and you can clearly see the pivot pin wiggle quite a lot inside of the pocket compass when drawing a circle. Basically the pivot pin rocks side to side while the pocket compass is being rotated which indicates to me there is too much play between the pivot point and the opening in the pocket compass. I don't see how this can't translate into some error in the drawn circle diameter. Also, when the circle closes you can see the lines don't quite meet up to form a perfect circle, but it is close. Unfortunately, the YouTube video is taken back at quite a distance and you can't really see it well unless you know what to look for after seeing the IG video. Also, during the time where they show a zoom in of the pivot pin in the YT video they quickly cut away to another shot, but they show it longer in the IG video. So, you have to really be paying attention and know what to look for to see it in the YT video. I just wanted to point it out so that if anyone is considering this product to please go look at the IG video first before making up your mind to make the purchase. I don't draw circles or arcs often either, but I'll continue to use my drafting compass for this when I need it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVNfSyrFf8a/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:02 am
Ed in Tampa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:43 am Not sure what you are seeing but I did not see any wobble. That said but without actually handling the tool to see how loose or snug the fit of the pivot pin in the pivot hole it is hard to say if there is a lost of precision.
Ed,

Thanks. Do you have Instagram (or Facebook)? If so, check out the video at the link below. The IG video shows it very clearly because it is a zoomed shot in portrait orientation, probably taken on an iPhone, and you can clearly see the pivot pin wiggle quite a lot inside of the pocket compass when drawing a circle. Basically the pivot pin rocks side to side while the pocket compass is being rotated which indicates to me there is too much play between the pivot point and the opening in the pocket compass. I don't see how this can't translate into some error in the drawn circle diameter. Also, when the circle closes you can see the lines don't quite meet up to form a perfect circle, but it is close. Unfortunately, the YouTube video is taken back at quite a distance and you can't really see it well unless you know what to look for after seeing the IG video. Also, during the time where they show a zoom in of the pivot pin in the YT video they quickly cut away to another shot, but they show it longer in the IG video. So, you have to really be paying attention and know what to look for to see it in the YT video. I just wanted to point it out so that if anyone is considering this product to please go look at the IG video first before making up your mind to make the purchase. I don't draw circles or arcs often either, but I'll continue to use my drafting compass for this when I need it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVNfSyrFf8a/
Watched the Instagram link above and while the first or the circle closest to the pivot looked sloppy I did not see any imperfection in the circle itself. As for the closure of the circles not sure how you saw them. To me the kept the bar over it while they moved the pencil to the next hole.
I am not defending woodpecker as I think their pricing is ridiculously expensive, although admittedly they are eye candy. I also do not see a real use for this compass as it appears to be a one trick pony.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:35 am I am not defending woodpecker as I think their pricing is ridiculously expensive, although admittedly they are eye candy. I also do not see a real use for this compass as it appears to be a one trick pony.
+1
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:35 am Watched the Instagram link above and while the first or the circle closest to the pivot looked sloppy I did not see any imperfection in the circle itself. As for the closure of the circles not sure how you saw them. To me the kept the bar over it while they moved the pencil to the next hole.
I am not defending woodpecker as I think their pricing is ridiculously expensive, although admittedly they are eye candy. I also do not see a real use for this compass as it appears to be a one trick pony.
Ed,

Thanks. Just curious - did you see the bar and pivot pin rocking in the IG video while they were rotating the pocket compass?
📶RF Guy

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

RFGuy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:45 am
Ed in Tampa wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:35 am Watched the Instagram link above and while the first or the circle closest to the pivot looked sloppy I did not see any imperfection in the circle itself. As for the closure of the circles not sure how you saw them. To me the kept the bar over it while they moved the pencil to the next hole.
Ed,

Thanks. Just curious - did you see the bar and pivot pin rocking in the IG video while they were rotating the pocket compass?

In the initial shot there seemed to be movement but I also thought the demo'er was confused about where to place and move his hands. Since it was a video it could have been started stopped and compleletly redone. The circle itself looked good and as far as the beginning and end lining up I could not see because the beam covered that area.

Admittedly there did seem to be slop in the pivot hole but again I am not sure it was slop or simply the fumbling of the actor doing the video. Again not defending woodpecker in any way but I would think having a perfect fit between the hole and centering pin would be about the easiest to achieve.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:10 am In the initial shot there seemed to be movement but I also thought the demo'er was confused about where to place and move his hands. Since it was a video it could have been started stopped and compleletly redone. The circle itself looked good and as far as the beginning and end lining up I could not see because the beam covered that area.

Admittedly there did seem to be slop in the pivot hole but again I am not sure it was slop or simply the fumbling of the actor doing the video. Again not defending woodpecker in any way but I would think having a perfect fit between the hole and centering pin would be about the easiest to achieve.
Ed,

Thanks. Yeah, I appreciate your feedback. Honestly I didn't pay any attention to this product when it was first released. I think I watched the YT video and didn't notice anything originally. It wasn't until I saw the IG video that I was kind of shocked. I agree with you that it isn't 100% clear whether the issue is the pocket compass or if maybe there is some user error in that video. Definitely one of those products where you need to have your hands on it in person to really make up your mind, I think. I hope I am wrong and that any play in the pivot is overly exaggerated in that IG video. Thanks for giving your perspective on it.
📶RF Guy

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

RF Guy you are very gracious and thank you for the discussion. I think we both can agree the video casts the new product in questionable light and is one that woodpecker should redo.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:53 am RF Guy you are very gracious and thank you for the discussion. I think we both can agree the video casts the new product in questionable light and is one that woodpecker should redo.
Thanks Ed. I appreciate your kind words. I try to be respectful, but like anyone I can have a bad day sometimes (apologize when that is the case). I really appreciate the intelligent and thought provoking discussions on this forum. I have learned a lot here and try to contribute where I can. I have learned a lot from your insights. Also, not trying to bash Woodpeckers. I actually love them as a company and own several of their products, but I try to call it like I see it. This product didn't appeal to me, but it may appeal to others. I just wanted to highlight what I was seeing in that video in case someone wanted to purchase it, they would know what they were getting from Woodpeckers.
📶RF Guy