Adapting Ryobi rails to SS. Alternative to 520 rails?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

AKTroy
Silver Member

Adapting Ryobi rails to SS. Alternative to 520 rails?

Post by AKTroy »

Hi folks:

Here's an idea for an alternative rail system to the 520. My main table saw is a Craftsman 22811, which is modeled after the Ryobi BT3100. As many of you probably know, the Ryobi BT3000/3100 has a pretty loyal following.

I had some extra rails I purchased years ago for an extended table and never used, and a lightbulb went off one afternoon that they may be able to be used on the Shopsmith. While I like the Shopsmith for many things, the table saw was never one of its strong suits to me. If you're using just the main table, then fine, but as soon as you start getting into floating tables, extra rails, the system to me just doesn't work well. I spend more time trying to align the fence or get tables level, than I do cutting wood. If you need to do a fine adjustment, then everything starts over again. I'm not sure if the 520 rail system allows better table alignment, but the 510 leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

I thought if I could mount the Ryobi rails on the Shopsmith it would perhaps make up some of the shortcomings of the saw. Some measurements between the craftsman and shopsmith revealed there was only a half inch difference between the rails. That meant if I shimmed out the Shopsmith a quarter inch on each side, the rails from the Ryobi should work fine. I did a little mock up with some MDF, and it seemed to work out just fine with just a few modifications.

The parts that I ordered were some aluminum stock, 1/4"x2.5"x36" 6011 grade. You can get a piece of this for under seven dollars on Amazon. I then ordered four of the quick clamps off of eBay for the Ryobi BT3000 (under $20). There was probably another miscellaneous $15 in hardware. The rails I had on hand, but if you had to buy new they are about $40 or so for a set. Extra tables are in the $50 range, but adapting one of the Shopsmith floating tables is not difficult. I also found I could use my Incra LS positioner, if I later wanted to add a router table.

I would say the hardest part of the build was making a notch in the aluminum for the rear rail. The back of the fence hits the shim, so 3/16 of an inch needs to be removed from the spacer. I took very light (1/64") passes on the router table, and then did a final sand with some 150 grit sandpaper to remove the mill marks.

I would say the most critical thing with this build is very precise measurements. I use one of the Incra marking gauges that use a 5mm drafting pencil. You need to be spot on with the measurements. I also center punched all of the holes, and drilled 1/16 diameter pilot holes to keep the drill bits on track. I also was certain my drill bits were spinning true, and were or as close as possible to the work to avoid runout. I used a half inch countersink bit for the machine screws. Those need to be absolutely flush in the rear spacer or the fence will hit. There is more room in the front.

So, how does it work? In a word, fantastic! The fence glides absolutely smooth, and locks down positive. I will add a measuring tape to the front. Depending on how you configure the rails you can get about 24 inches or rip capacity. One thing I really like is you can use the SS extension tables to support long pieces for crosscut. I also have the ryobi outfeed brackets. Those mount in the aluminum extrusion on the underside of the rails, and allow you to flip up an outfeed table. With the adjustable leg from shopsmith, you can have a pretty nice outfeed table.

I'm way happier with this system than I am with the stock 510. I now have a table saw that's actually useful, instead of one that's an exercise in frustration. Still need to fine-tune Shopsmith's rather mediocre dust collection, but already have some ideas for that.

Hopefully somebody will find this useful.

I'll close by saying after I built this, I did a little search and found that my idea was not original. As long as Shopsmith has been around I'm not surprised somebody else beat me to the punch. I can say I came up with the idea on my own.

Here's some pics to tell the rest of the story. Enjoy!
Attachments
DSCN1936.JPG
DSCN1936.JPG (487.8 KiB) Viewed 58285 times
DSCN1939.JPG
DSCN1939.JPG (283.69 KiB) Viewed 58285 times
DSCN1942.JPG
DSCN1942.JPG (403.85 KiB) Viewed 58285 times
DSCN1947.JPG
DSCN1947.JPG (589.33 KiB) Viewed 58285 times
DSCN1948.JPG
DSCN1948.JPG (504.77 KiB) Viewed 58285 times
DSCN1949.JPG
DSCN1949.JPG (217.59 KiB) Viewed 58285 times
DSCN1950.JPG
DSCN1950.JPG (525.44 KiB) Viewed 58285 times
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Re: Adapting Ryobi rails to SS. Alternative to 520 rails?

Post by nuhobby »

Thanks for showing us! Very well thought-out and inspiring. I don't have a need for my own version, but I'm impressed and appreciative of what you did.

Chris
sailseahawk
Gold Member

Post by sailseahawk »

Thanks! Someone else has previously done something similar, but your system looks a bit easier to build. I inherited a 2nd BT3000, just built a "Frankensaw" (Two BT3000s side by side), and have an entire set of rails left over, as well as two sliding tables, fences, etc. Your solution looks to be the perfect way to use ALL of my fences, jigs, etc on both my Shopsmith and my BT. Picture of Frankensaw attached.
Attachments
Frankensaw (BT3100 x 2)
Frankensaw (BT3100 x 2)
IMG_7318 (1).jpg (18.43 KiB) Viewed 58106 times
Betamax
Bronze Member

Post by Betamax »

I realize I might be late to the party, but I want to do this to my 510 instead of paying a fortune for the 520 system. I’m hoping I could get a little guidance with doing this very same mod.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Betamax wrote:I realize I might be late to the party, but I want to do this to my 510 instead of paying a fortune for the 520 system. I’m hoping I could get a little guidance with doing this very same mod.
I also got interested in a possible Shopsmith & BT3000/3100 hybrid when I saw it about a year ago on this forum. It looks like a very slick setup and I especially like the idea of a sliding crosscut table on a Shopsmith. After doing some digging on this forum and other online forums, I found some comments indicating that certain parts were hard to come by to make this conversion. IF you can get all the parts that you need, then go for it. When I searched previously, some of the components that I found on eBay for it were not 100% intact, i.e. missing pieces. They looked pretty beat up too. Maybe there are more options on eBay now since this is always in flux. I think this Ryobi product has been out of manufacture for about 20 years now, so you are at the mercy of whatever spare parts you can find online. The nail in the coffin, so to speak, for me was in reading some of the online reviews which indicated that the sliding crosscut table is "held to the rails by four plastic cam clamps, every time you move it, you have to re-square it to the blade." Also, the sliding table rides on nylon glides, I believe. You might have to make some of your own parts to keep one of these setups going. Not trying to discourage you, but just share my findings when I researched trying to do this conversion. If you do try to do this, please share what you find on the forum here. I'd love to see another one of these hybrid machines built with the Ryobi table on a Shopsmith. Best of luck.

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/bt3000-1.shtml
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

Betamax wrote:I realize I might be late to the party, but I want to do this to my 510 instead of paying a fortune for the 520 system. I’m hoping I could get a little guidance with doing this very same mod.
The 510 is a good candidate for this conversion if you can find the parts. EBay sellers like to deconstruct the Ryobi saws to infinity, making sure to extract as much of your money while you try to recompile your required parts list from the listings.

In my area, Craigslist has not been fruitful, but the Facebook marketplace appears to be in more favor, as I have found 2 Bt3000 saws. Only problem they are too far away. Not worth my time to drive 4 hrs one way. One is located northeast of Kansas City, MO if anyone is interested. I think the seller wants $110 for the complete unit with several add on accessories. It doesn't look like it runs, but for this purpose, it would be perfect.

I already have the 520 fence, and if I upgrade it, it will be the incra fence. My 500 will require the 510 tables to convert to the Ryobi fence. Just not worth it for my 2nd SS.

Good luck,
Jerry
Harrison, AR
Shopsmith Mk V 520
SPT's: jointer, band saw
Betamax
Bronze Member

Post by Betamax »

Well, I managed to get everything but the fence for the sliding miter table for $38. Any suggestions on where to start?
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

Betamax wrote:Well, I managed to get everything but the fence for the sliding miter table for $38. Any suggestions on where to start?
EBay is now your new best friend!
Good luck
Jerry
Harrison, AR
Shopsmith Mk V 520
SPT's: jointer, band saw
CascoBill
Bronze Member

Post by CascoBill »

AKTroy

I hope you are still around this forum. I reviewed your post on the BT 3000 rails on 510 and picked up a BT3000 for $100. I have dis assemled it and want to install the rails. I am hoping you can provide some further info and photos to help me.

Please reply

Thanks
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

There was a guy on this forum named Ron May who went by the handle worknhard that sold an adapter kit with instructions on exactly how to do this. Try reaching out to him.
ssbt3.jpg
ssbt3.jpg (47.69 KiB) Viewed 35767 times
I bought the kit years ago, but never did use it, and probably never will since I sold my BT3100 to a neighbor who knew I had two shopsmith 520s and iron table saw. I might be able to dig mine up if you can't contact Ron.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER