Shopsmith Mark V MINI Power Station

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Mark V MINI Power Station

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:53 am Twisted pair and a single bent tube are not the same thing.

The twisted pair results from the ends not being in the same plane. Think wind in a piece of wood.
If you are telling me that a pair of twisted tubes will roll smoothly across the floor then I don't know what a twisted tube is. If you are telling me that a pair of tubes that are not in the same plane(s) or in parallel planes (because of how they were secured at the ends) are twisted then I understand.

Unfortunately, the castings are not machined in the areas where the tubes rest. That clearly could lead to alignment issues.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:31 am David - Big setscrews are what are adjusted to eliminate way tube twist. They NEED to be a bearing surface.
My mistake, I think, was thinking I should back the big setscrews out as a starting place. That imparted so much twist that the bench no longer sat flat on the floor. I have it close now.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

WHO said ANYTHING about a PAIR of tubes rolling on the floor?

No the mating surfaces are not 'machined', but that is what allows for correction by the big set screw.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange