Lathe tailstock extension

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Lathe tailstock extension

Post by chapmanruss »

wanaii,

The link David provided above is one that I remembered. It looks like a nice sturdy design but doesn't put the extended Tailstock mounting holes at the same level as the base/arm holes, so the Tailstock collars need to be re-adjusted or use a second Tailstock with the height set for the extender. The height difference is the thickness of the main plate.

Another consideration in adding an extender for the Tailstock is having enough reach with the Lathe Tool Rest.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
wanaii
Bronze Member

Re: Lathe tailstock extension

Post by wanaii »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:14 am wanaii,

The link David provided above is one that I remembered. It looks like a nice sturdy design but doesn't put the extended Tailstock mounting holes at the same level as the base/arm holes, so the Tailstock collars need to be re-adjusted or use a second Tailstock with the height set for the extender. The height difference is the thickness of the main plate.

Another consideration in adding an extender for the Tailstock is having enough reach with the Lathe Tool Rest.
Yes good points and definitely going to take that in consideration when I make the next iteration of the jig