Fluorescent Lighting--Cool White vs Daylight Deluxe Style Tubes

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Back when I wanted to do this I did a little light reading on the subject before hand.

I had hanging fixtures so I went and replaced with like kind in the new version.

I'm going to do this from memory so please check my numbers.

The old ballasts were basically a large inductor, they were large, heavy and you could expect a major loss in them do to the power factor being very poor (current and voltage out of phase). This loss could be 20% or even 25%.... Even in the best of worlds it is still something like 5%. Later they added a capacitor to help correct the power factor so depending on how old your stuff is???

The one we now call electronic ballast is what I switched to, it is a very different system. First the old system was 60 cycle based, the new ones are operating at 20,000. Why do that? Well the lamps are more efficient by at least 9% at that frequency. The higher frequency also lets them use capacitors rather then inductors, capacitors are less of a loss then inductors and you get still better efficiency. The flicker is gone as a plus (the lamps do not have to re-arc).

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

reible wrote:Hi,

Back when I wanted to do this I did a little light reading on the subject before hand...Ed
Pun intended??? Well, I thought it was Funny!!!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Thanks Tim

a1gutterman wrote:Pun intended??? Well, I thought it was Funny!!!
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mindpilot
Gold Member

I'd say replace the ballast not the fixture

Post by mindpilot »

JPG40504, Yes, the electronic ballasts are a direct replacement for the old inductive style. The wires will in all likelihood be color-coded the same. If not, there is a schematic right on the ballast.

To select the right one, just check the label on the box; it will list the tube types it works with.

I'd recommend replacing the ballast rather than the fixture. That way you know you are getting a good-quality ballast. If the new fixture is cheaper than a new ballast that is probably the corner they cut.:cool:
The dividers say it is perfectly centered, why does it look like it's off to the left?!:cool:
azonia22
Bronze Member

Re: Fluorescent Lighting--Cool White vs Daylight Deluxe Style Tubes

Post by azonia22 »

post deleted
Last edited by azonia22 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Don't be fooled by the wattage ratings on LED boxes. Usually they will say something like 60W equivalent and then say 10W consumption. That means that the LED uses 10W of electricity to produce light equivalent to a 60W incandescent bulb. So, yes, the LED uses a lot less electricity. A 5000K color is a nice white light that gives a lot of light for the human eye.
Lumens are measured with a light meter and our eyes dont see what a light meter sees, so for almost all people, a 5000K 800 lumen light will appear a lot brighter than a 3200K 800 lumen light.
I recently replaced the lights in my wood shop. I bought some nice 4 foot 5000K 10,000 lumen lights. It is really bright now. Last week I see Menards selling some 4 foot 20,000 lumen lights. Those should be really great considering most people are putting in 5000 lumen LED 4 foot lights. If you like the 5000 lumen ones, you will love the 20,000 lumen ones.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

A lumen is a human centric measure of apparent brightness. It is based on the idealized response of the photoreceptors in your eye. Everyone is a little different, but on average we are similar :) Minus the folks with color blind type issues.

So, 800L of 1 type of light, will have the same apparent brightness to you as 800L of another type of light. This does not imply its the same color. Nor does it imply you will feel its the same brightness. The reason being is that we don't stare directly at light sources to assess their brightness - which is the Lumen value quoted on the labels- and if you do stare directly at light sources, it wont be long before all of them aren't bright enough for you !

We live in a world of diffuse reflected light..that is..the light from the source (lamp) bounces of objects of interest and then we receive that light. Because of that bounce/reflection the APPARENT brightness of a room will be different for us depending on the CCT/CRI of the light chosen even if we upfront spec the Lumen output to be the same from the lamps.

On another thread I have mentioned that discrimination (seeing small objects) is first and foremost driven by light intensity delivered on the object to create contrast. Since we can't KNOW up front which light colors will be important for contrast, as we don't know which color object we will be trying to look at, we overcome this simply with source brightness. So-if you want higher discrimination- err on the side of brightness in your install.

The consumer confusion we faced when we began producing LED consumer bulbs is that consumers were used to
buying bulbs based on their power consumption. IE 40W, 60W bulb, and 100W bulb. Due to the "fixed" spectra and efficiency of incandescent filaments, this in turn was about 600L, 900L, and 1500L roughly.

Now-we come out with a 12W LED bulb. Immediately, everyone thinks..well crap thats only 1/5 as bright as my old 60W ! But since the spectra and the overall efficiency has changed from 15 Lumens/electrical Watt (incandescent) to 70 Lumens/electrical Watt (LED) ..we end up generating the same Lumens out of the fixture. Thats what all that "60W equivalent" crap is about.

If you want the ultimate in discrimination-you'll have to wait a bit-I'm still working on it .

That tree is about 200 yards away , at night, in the middle of a snow storm :)

Its a laser based white light source, not as efficient as an LED but damn it will put a bright spot on just about anything :)

The object that creates that beam is 7mmx7mm , fit into a flashlight housing.

flashlight.jpg
flashlight.jpg (57.01 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Whoa!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466