SS Bandsaw Fences - differences??

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

As per your request for more opinions; I have just this week installed the Kreg fence system on my SS band saw. I have the alum. table and it was a "no brainer" to install. I have not had enough time to give a full report, but so far I am totally pleased with it. I originally had the front and back clamp fence and it did a decent job. The only real reason I "up-graded" is that I am a confessed "TOOL JUNKIE". Your mileage may vary... :D
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

[quote="curiousgeorge"]As per your request for more opinions]George, I am curious did you get the Kreg resaw attachment also? If so, have you installed it yet?

I got the fence and resaw attachment and the thickness of the fence extrusion at the t-slot prevents the t-nut from tightening enough to lock the resaw attachment in place along the fence face. I am thinking that I got a bad fence extrusion as the flange at the t-slot is thinner than those on my other attachments with t-slots.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

Well, what an interesting thread. There seems to be 3 general types of bandsaw fences that have or are sold by SS:
1. The Kreq adaptation that is sold by SS. This does include a means to adjust the fence for drift - apparently by skewing the entire fence while leaving the clamping attachment alone.

2. The SS fence that clamps on BOTH sides of the table. For that one, SS (in their catalog writeup) does not mention the ability to compensate for drift. One could do that, I guess, with the two screws in the front of the mount. It kind of looks like the back clamp has a bit of play in it so that the fence can be skewed but the back clamp won't try to yank it back. I think this variation was the oldest, was replaced by #3 (below) and now has been brought back.

3. The SS fence that clamps only on one edge of the table. The catalog write up did (at one time) specifically mention the ability to adjust for drift. But, as noted, this version is apparently no longer being provided/sold.

OK, confusing. I know I want the Kreg version!
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

bobgroh wrote:Well, what an interesting thread. There seems to be 3 general types of bandsaw fences that have or are sold by SS:
1. The Kreq adaptation that is sold by SS. This does include a means to adjust the fence for drift - apparently by skewing the entire fence while leaving the clamping attachment alone.

2. The SS fence that clamps on BOTH sides of the table. For that one, SS (in their catalog writeup) does not mention the ability to compensate for drift. One could do that, I guess, with the two screws in the front of the mount. It kind of looks like the back clamp has a bit of play in it so that the fence can be skewed but the back clamp won't try to yank it back. I think this variation was the oldest, was replaced by #3 (below) and now has been brought back.

3. The SS fence that clamps only on one edge of the table. The catalog write up did (at one time) specifically mention the ability to adjust for drift. But, as noted, this version is apparently no longer being provided/sold.

OK, confusing. I know I want the Kreg version!
Chronologically, it would be 3, 2 and then 1, oldest to newest.

Drift on 2 and 3 can be done with the 2 set screws in the fence bracket that each have. On the Kreg, you loosen 2 1/2" bolts and adjust the fence.
Rob in San Diego
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

SDSSmith wrote:Chronologically, it would be 3, 2 and then 1, oldest to newest.

Drift on 2 and 3 can be done with the 2 set screws in the fence bracket that each have. On the Kreg, you loosen 2 1/2" bolts and adjust the fence.
I am using the newest version which is in fact the Kreg model. I really do like the adjust-ability of it. I also purchased the Blue Kreg resaw guide which resembles the cats pajamas when resawing. Yeah okay that pun may predate some of you gentlemen of culture:p Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fjimp wrote:I am using the newest version which is in fact the Kreg model. I really do like the adjust-ability of it. I also purchased the Blue Kreg resaw guide which resembles the cats pajamas when resawing. Yeah okay that pun may predate some of you gentlemen of culture:p Jim

I think that predates ALL of us!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

SDSSmith wrote:George, I am curious did you get the Kreg resaw attachment also? If so, have you installed it yet?

I got the fence and resaw attachment and the thickness of the fence extrusion at the t-slot prevents the t-nut from tightening enough to lock the resaw attachment in place along the fence face. I am thinking that I got a bad fence extrusion as the flange at the t-slot is thinner than those on my other attachments with t-slots.
I haven't used it but I did install it to see if it fit. There is no problem with mine as far as being able to tighten it down. You should call customer service about yours and maybe they will know how to fix it for you.
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

curiousgeorge wrote:I haven't used it but I did install it to see if it fit. There is no problem with mine as far as being able to tighten it down. You should call customer service about yours and maybe they will know how to fix it for you.
Thanks for checking, George. I will call CS in the a.m.
Rob in San Diego
hjlssfor1
Gold Member

Post by hjlssfor1 »

[quote="curiousgeorge"]As per your request for more opinions]
George, if you can find the time, I posted a thread asking for some dimensions for the Kreg/SS bandsaw fence (specifically, the "front" and "rear" rails). I wanted to send you a direct email, but the Forum software could not provide a link. Hank
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

FYI - Bad Aluminum Extrusion

Post by SDSSmith »

SDSSmith wrote:George, I am curious did you get the Kreg resaw attachment also? If so, have you installed it yet?

Contacted customer service on the fence extrusion and they sent me out a replacement. The replacement was also bad. Today I learned from Shopsmith that they had in fact sent out fences that were from a rejected extrusion. That said if you received one of the recent Kreg bandsaw fences or the 20" aluminum miter gauge extension (556005), then you may want to check the t-slot on the fence face to make sure your t-nuts will lock in them. The flange/lip on the bad extrusions I received measured around .144". The following drawing provides some of the information I found on my extrusion.

[ATTACH]18957[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Shopsmith premium bandsaw fence extrusion.pdf
(6.98 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Rob in San Diego