Tool posts and rests "custom" review

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Tool posts and rests "custom" review

Post by reible »

This review is for a tool post and tool rest for the shopsmith lathe. It is related to this post:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=12594

In that they were made by the same person.

I've been looking to get a set-up like this for the last few months. I have to admit I've never used a round bar but I've liked watching others use theirs. I don't have the experience yet to say just how much in love with it I am but even at this point I'm happy.

Starting with a picture at this point seems like it might help get the review started. Here it is mounted.

[ATTACH]21017[/ATTACH]

The tool post is a nice fit, the tool rest is just as smooth as can be, yea I'm loving it right out of the box.

The next two pictures show it when it is apart.

[ATTACH]21018[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21019[/ATTACH]

The tool post was designed for the shopsmith and you can get different lengths of the tool rests per your preference. Since the pieces come apart you only need one tool post and then you can add different length rest as you see fit. The rest is 3/4" round and has a really nice feel to it. The heft seems to inspire confidence and strength, no feather weight here.

For mine I went with a 6" length, this falls below the 8" one I have from shopsmith. As I understand it the length can be up to 8" no longer at this time, then down to what ever is practical lower limit. There is also a rest with a flat for bowl work.

Again I have no long term experience with these but the fit and function seems to be really good quality.

I'm already planning a second order for more parts, maybe as soon as next month with or without more time with the parts.

I'll finish the review a bit later.

Ed
Attachments
IMG_7577sc.jpg
IMG_7577sc.jpg (63.3 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
IMG_7581sc.jpg
IMG_7581sc.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
IMG_7582sc.jpg
IMG_7582sc.jpg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Somebody placed an order with Rick Herrel over on IAP!!

I'd know his work anywhere, I just wish I could afford to have it done!!
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

terrydowning wrote:Somebody placed an order with Rick Herrel over on IAP!!

I'd know his work anywhere, I just wish I could afford to have it done!!
You have that right!

If you are sold on wanting this sort of lathe setup I don't think you could go wrong with these tools. The quality puts these tools up with the best I've seen. I'm going with a 5 out of 5 rating. I can't say for sure if I'm going too really love the round rests or if anyone else here would like them but it not it will not be due to the lack of quality of the tools.

You can check out Rick at:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f172/cu ... ies-92501/

Of course I'm giving this rating without the benefit of a long term usage experience, but I have a lot of confidence that I'll be using these will be with me for a lot of years.

Ed
eagleta2
Gold Member

Post by eagleta2 »

I'm over on IAP also and have been working with Rick to design and make a shaft mounted dead center off my S's. He is a very helpful guy, but I think I'm just going to have to get the chuck mounted one to make it easier.

I'm just thinking that my drill chuck might not be running true...and idea on how to confirm this before I order the dead drive center?

Thanks

Geo
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

eagleta2 wrote:I'm over on IAP also and have been working with Rick to design and make a shaft mounted dead center off my S's. He is a very helpful guy, but I think I'm just going to have to get the chuck mounted one to make it easier.

I'm just thinking that my drill chuck might not be running true...and idea on how to confirm this before I order the dead drive center?

Thanks

Geo

A drill chuck can go bad and or get damaged so if you are experiencing "issues" it would be well to check things out. Without know what sort of measurement gear you have the easiest method would be to chuck something up that has a point and then see how stable the rotation looks. If you have a brad point drill or other "chuckable" point it can pretty clear if problems are present just using visual inspection while it is turning.

If using a drill bit try several of them as any one bit could be bent or otherwise damaged give you a false reading. Of course it could be the issue is not with the chuck but perhaps with the quill.... Isolating the issue is then the problem.

I would however move this discussion to the Maintenance and Repair section rather then continue this in the tool review section. Good luck get things solved!

Ed
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

eagleta2 wrote:I'm over on IAP also and have been working with Rick to design and make a shaft mounted dead center off my S's. He is a very helpful guy, but I think I'm just going to have to get the chuck mounted one to make it easier.

Thanks

Geo
Try a collet chuck instead. If you're serious about turning small items, it's well worth the cost.

The Beall is probably the highest rated.
The Penn State and CSUSA are also highly rated. I have the PSI model and recommend it for the price. You do need a 5/8" shaft to 1" x 8 TPI adapter to use any of these with a SS. My only issue with the PSI model is the size of the retaining nut for the collet. It can be a knuckle bruiser if you're not paying attention. Other than that, it's a quality product.
--
Terry

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thank you, Ed, for this posting. It put me in contact with a catalog, shown on the IAP webpage, that gave me an idea for mounting my dial indicator.

I modified a dowel, drilled a hole in it for the bolt that secures the dial gauge and mounted the dowel in place of the tool rest. Works great.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

reible wrote:This review is for a tool post and tool rest for the shopsmith lathe. It is related to this post:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=12594

In that they were made by the same person.

I've been looking to get a set-up like this for the last few months. I have to admit I've never used a round bar but I've liked watching others use theirs. I don't have the experience yet to say just how much in love with it I am but even at this point I'm happy.

Starting with a picture at this point seems like it might help get the review started. Here it is mounted.

[ATTACH]21017[/ATTACH]

The tool post is a nice fit, the tool rest is just as smooth as can be, yea I'm loving it right out of the box.

The next two pictures show it when it is apart.

[ATTACH]21018[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]21019[/ATTACH]

The tool post was designed for the shopsmith and you can get different lengths of the tool rests per your preference. Since the pieces come apart you only need one tool post and then you can add different length rest as you see fit. The rest is 3/4" round and has a really nice feel to it. The heft seems to inspire confidence and strength, no feather weight here.

For mine I went with a 6" length, this falls below the 8" one I have from shopsmith. As I understand it the length can be up to 8" no longer at this time, then down to what ever is practical lower limit. There is also a rest with a flat for bowl work.

Again I have no long term experience with these but the fit and function seems to be really good quality.

I'm already planning a second order for more parts, maybe as soon as next month with or without more time with the parts.

I'll finish the review a bit later.

Ed
I don't get it, what is the purpose of the round tool rest? I was always taught to put the tool rest as close to the work as possible. That made the edge where I rested the tool to be about 1/8 or so from the work. With a round tool rest I would think where the tool rests on the rest has to be at least the radius of the rest away from the work.
I guess I don't understand something. What is being accomplished with the round tool rest other than it look really nice.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I don't get it, what is the purpose of the round tool rest? I was always taught to put the tool rest as close to the work as possible. That made the edge where I rested the tool to be about 1/8 or so from the work. With a round tool rest I would think where the tool rests on the rest has to be at least the radius of the rest away from the work.
I guess I don't understand something. What is being accomplished with the round tool rest other than it look really nice.
I think those words of wisdom were meant for the less experienced turners. I was told the same thing at a couple of the TA's but I also watched Rick Davis do things that he did advised his students to not do until they had much more experience.

The nice smooth bar I can see being a real advantage.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Like just about any tool, there are pros and cons. Whether the pros outweigh the cons is a matter of perspective, experience and personal preference.

Pros for round stock tool rests.
Hardened steel less likely to get dings and nicks from tools
Smoother surface for smoother cross lathe action
Less surface area for tool support, this makes a fulcrum and some people prefer that for changing the tool angle

Cons
Hardened steel does not absorb vibration as well as cast iron.
Can't get tool rest as close as a flat tool rest.
Not as much surface area for resting the tool on.

Deciding which tool rest to use is also a function of the project you are working on.

There is a big difference between spindle turning and hollow form turning. regarding tool rest position.
--
Terry