Adjustable Stop Collar verners

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Adjustable Stop Collar verniers

Post by charlese »

Last week when I got the e-mail about the bright yellow stick on vernier for the adjustable stop collar I jumped all over it. (had a gift card that covered two of them)

I've used the two stop collars many times with great success. Yes, I've made fun of the problems folks have had over printing scales and getting them to the right size. Actually, I still think worrying about less than a quarter turn (1/64") is kinda silly. But thought I'd try the stick on vernier because it is such a pretty yellow color:p .

What amazed me when I got the scales was the 8 page, full color instructions that came with them. Imagine that! 8 pages of instructions to stick a scale on the collar.;) Well, the instructions were quite detailed and following them gave me a very pretty collar. I can now find it from across the room:) .

Now if I ever find a need to raise or lower a table I can read how much in thousandths, millimeters, or fractions of inches. Since the scales fit exactly - those measurements have to be correct - right?

For those of us really interested in that kind of accuracy these scales are the "cats meow"!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I did see the offer but I didn't look very closely.... wow thousands of an inch scales! Had I noticed that I might have bitten on the offer.

Is it center zeroed?

Ed
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

reible wrote:I did see the offer but I didn't look very closely.... wow thousands of an inch scales! Had I noticed that I might have bitten on the offer.

Is it center zeroed?

Ed
Looks like you can still get them at about the same price, $9.99.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Ordered them immediately but haven't got them yet. Maybe because I added a couple of nuts and bolts I needed to the order?

Nope. Just checked order status and they are out of stock. Amazing. I ordered them within hours of the listing.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

gregf
Gold Member

Post by gregf »

Rec'd mine.
Richwood, OH
There is no such thing as an unsafe tool, only unsafe owners. If you make a machine idiot-proof, God will invent a better idiot.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

reible wrote:I did see the offer but I didn't look very closely.... wow thousands of an inch scales! Had I noticed that I might have bitten on the offer.

Is it center zeroed?

Ed

Center zeroed? Guess you could say that! When properly applied, the lower scales close tightly at the zero (0) mark.

The top strip - the one that goes on the locking part - has 4 starting/observing arrows labeled A.B.C.D. This gives four possible starting places. This strip closes on each side of the set screw. (I had to cut off about 3/16" so it wouldn't cover the screw)
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

No it is not center zeroed.

Neither is it a vernier scale!;)

It is a multi unit scale calibrated for one revolution with four indices.

:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Billdit
Gold Member

Post by Billdit »

Ordered a set last Friday ... They emailed last night that they shipped yesterday.

When I ordered them by phone, Jan told me they made them up after they got orders because they didn't know how many to make til then.
Bill

Mark V 1981 upgraded to 520 and PowerPro, w/ Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, and a bunch of previous owners 1980's jigs, accessories, and unknown parts.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Billdit wrote:Ordered a set last Friday ... They emailed last night that they shipped yesterday.

When I ordered them by phone, Jan told me they made them up after they got orders because they didn't know how many to make til then.
My order now shows shipped too!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

algale
Platinum Member

Got it!

Post by algale »

Got mine and installed and used today for the first time. Allowed me to really dial in the depth of a locking dado in millimeters (was using that darn metric plywood where 1/2 inch is really 12 mm). Makes a great accessory even better. Only criticism is you really need to pull on that tape with the scale to get it fully around the collar. Mine has a small gap but is still far easier to dial in than before.