New Power Pro coming!

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

They are supposed to be here in the Houston area in a few weeks but I can't think of a single thing I need that I don't already have. But I bet I will find something :)
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Just be sure that you do not turn the speed control dial unless the motor is running... No, wait... That does not apply to those. :D :D
You know, just not having to worry about somebody coming in your shop and cranking the speed control and breaking something is worth a good bit... :)
Enjoy the Power Pro.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I have an email from Shopsmith offering Webinars with Doug Reid on Feb/2, 4, and 5. He does a good job of demonstrating the Power Pro and I think there are usually discounts offered. You can try calling Shopsmith to get on the webinar list. It's too late for tomorrows' webinar, but it is scheduled during the Super Bowl, anyway.

I would post a link, but the link is personalized, and I can't figure out how to post a generic link.

Mike
jtevans
Gold Member

Post by jtevans »

[quote="JPG40504"]So just what did you think made the "7" differ from a 520 with a PP?]

No one ever seems to talk about the differences between the systems unless some one begs them for it...and I didn't need to know that badly...I can read a few things for myself...and being an Engineer...I can learn...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jtevans wrote:No one ever seems to talk about the differences between the systems unless some one begs them for it...and I didn't need to know that badly...I can read a few things for myself...and being an Engineer...I can learn...
Ahhh yes, but you are not isolated from the rest of 'us'. Such 'informational' postings are not intended for 'thee' alone.] all [/B]have an obligation to set the record straight so to speak.:cool:

BTW let the bank idea pass!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
forrestb
Platinum Member

enjoy!

Post by forrestb »

As I am sure that you will! I find the PP to be very reliable and quiet.

Now, if they would give users a software update to eliminate the need to "CONFIRM" the chosen speed it would be a blessing for those who have gotten sort of used to the PP. Ah! but the lawyers would never agree.

Forrest
Forrest
Huntington Beach, CA
1985 500->510->520, bandsaw, jointer, planer, PowerPro, double-tilt, 3" casters,(now obsolete) speed increaser
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

forrestb wrote:As I am sure that you will! I find the PP to be very reliable and quiet.

Now, if they would give users a software update to eliminate the need to "CONFIRM" the chosen speed it would be a blessing for those who have gotten sort of used to the PP. Ah! but the lawyers would never agree.

Forrest
I put that in the same category as superflous mouse clicking. If I did not want to do something, I would not have clicked the first time!

And those GD error 'messages' that must be cleared before correcting the error itself.:mad:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

forrestb wrote:As I am sure that you will! I find the PP to be very reliable and quiet.

Forrest
Having once turned on my lathe after using my machine as a tablesaw (3,500 RPM) and having a block of wood fly loose from the chuck during a demonstration to my son and his new girlfriend. I am very thankful that my PowerPro has a confirm. She still has a scar where a spinning block hit her shoulder and it could have been a lot worse.

Since then the confirm reminds me to double check the speed.

Details in a very old thread.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

paulmcohen wrote:Having once turned on my lathe after using my machine as a tablesaw (3,500 RPM) and having a block of wood fly loose from the chuck during a demonstration to my son and his new girlfriend. I am very thankful that my PowerPro has a confirm. She still has a scar where a spinning block hit her shoulder and it could have been a lot worse.

Since then the confirm reminds me to double check the speed.

Details in a very old thread.

She must have been 'distracting' you!:D

P.S. The 'fallacy' is that run/confirm becomes a thoughtless habit and becomes entirely ineffective over time.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Update

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I love snow as much as the next guy, really, I do! But not when it messes up with FedEx!!! The Mark 7 was due today but because of the snow not gonna happen. They can't get it here until Monday, bummer. They tell me I can pick it up at the freight yard if I want to, only about 40 miles away...
Can anyone tell me how big a box this is coming in (also the box for the dust collector)? I have a 1994 Dodge Ram pickup (6 foot bed)... I think it will make it there and back (no heat!)!!!
Chris