New Power Pro coming!

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hmmm? Smoke damage? What part of a Shopsmith would be damaged by smoke?

I guess if the carton survived the contents could be too bad unless heat damaged. My thoughts go immediately to "bearings" and any parts that are to be "straight" (like a fence or the tubes).

Good Luck. Be thorough while doing the inspection.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My thoughts went immediately to control circuits.;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Did any of you guys look at the pics of the truck on the FD website? The truck burned to the frame. I don't think that I would accept anything that was on that truck. FD says the truck was fully involved when they arrived on scene. I'm thinking delayed damage to the internals as Dusty commented. Capacitors on the control circuitry can't handle that much heat.
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I had not given any thought to control circuits. Probably because I don't have a PowerPro; I think Mark 5/V.

The PowerPro becomes a hunk of junk if the electronics are questionable. Before I would accept it, I would have to have some serious discussion with Shopsmith and something more than just "the warranty".

Yes, I saw that picture of the truck. I have to wonder where the Shopsmith was. It certainly was't on the truck when the picture was taken. Who moved it (if it was really on that truck)? How was it handled? Did someone just push it out the back door?

[ATTACH]24080[/ATTACH]

A lot of questions and no answers.

Again, I wish you luck on this. I believe Shopsmith will do right by you but you have too much invested to "just hope".
Attachments
Shopsmith Lost in Fire.jpg
Shopsmith Lost in Fire.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I would be concerned that exposure to heat might not cause any damage that is immediately apparent but might decrease the life span of the electronics.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I'm told that the cardboard box was intact. I hope that the Shopsmith can handle at least as much heat as cardboard. Time will tell...
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

When I first looked at the picture on FB, I noticed that most of the crew was on the driver side and looking down on the ground. I presumed that the contents of the truck were over there, hidden by what remained of the truck bed.

Not certain that that IS the correct picture, but just used Chris's tracking info he gave. That was the nearest FedEx truck fire, about 60 miles from whatever city that was.

Maybe the firefighters were wondering if they could buy the M7 from salvage?

At least you get a new one soon! You'll be making saw dust before you know it!
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Fed Ex trucks around these parts are all cab-over large vans. This truck doesn't look like a Fed Ex to me.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I'm told that the cardboard box was intact. I hope that the Shopsmith can handle at least as much heat as cardboard. Time will tell...
Cardboard burns at 451F, electronic circuits don't do well at 212F unless they are mil. spec and even then I don't know many that will stank up to 400F.

Have you ever boiled water in a paper cup, it actually works great.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIWM, I would insist that the smokey box go back to Dayton and a fresh one come out of Dayton and let SS and Fedex decide what to do with old smokey.

So Fedex has a nation wide vehicle procurement policy? They have at least 3 different 'styles' here in Lexington alone (including a Mercedes van).:eek:

BTW, what temp does aluminum melt at?:eek::D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange