510 to 520 upgrade

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

510 to 520 Upgrade

Post by dusty »

Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

putttn wrote:What year did the 520 begin? How expensive to upgrade?
Don't know when it came out. The cost depends on what model you have now. Check the web site for current cost. Also, be sure to get on their email and snail mail list so you get notice of specials when they come out. The upgrades are on sale 2 or 3 times a year.
manvelar
Gold Member

Post by manvelar »

I LOVE the 520! In addition to a better fence system that you can align on the machine (inlike the 510 fence where the aignment tightening screws were underneath the fence) I love the elimination of those little knurled knobs that you had to rotate left/right to tighten or loosen the tubes to hold the extension tables in place. The newer knobs underneath the 520 rails are MUCH BETTER! Way to go SS!!!!
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

manvelar wrote:I LOVE the 520! In addition to a better fence system that you can align on the machine (inlike the 510 fence where the aignment tightening screws were underneath the fence) I love the elimination of those little knurled knobs that you had to rotate left/right to tighten or loosen the tubes to hold the extension tables in place. The newer knobs underneath the 520 rails are MUCH BETTER! Way to go SS!!!!
I was hoping they had replaced those darn knobs. I hate those things. I guess I know what I'm getting when it goes on sale again.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

putttn wrote:What year did the 520 begin? How expensive to upgrade?

I have had my 520 since about 1999 but I was always an early adopter, the downside is I also had to upgrade my 520 by adding the new rip scale last year. The current upgrade comes with the new scale. I also had to upgrade a few other accessories like the rear extension table and a few other things the great thing is you can do the upgrades.

Shopsmith is much better than the IceboxLLC (a kitchen computer) I purchased with a lifetime warranty after one year it was not compatible with most websites and I complained. I was told I there was a new unit with the problem fixed but my unit was out of warranty. When I said I had it just over a year, they said that was the life of a computer and if I wanted the fix I would have to purchase a new machine for $3,000 but of course it came with a "lifetime warranty".
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

I think the 520 upgrade will be in my future next time it goes on sale too. There just seems to be a lot of good in it.:rolleyes: