Morse Taper for Drive End

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rwilabee
Gold Member

Morse Taper for Drive End

Post by rwilabee »

Does anyone know if someone makes a Morse Taper adapter for the Drive End of the Shopsmith.

Rich
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

rwilabee wrote:Does anyone know if someone makes a Morse Taper adapter for the Drive End of the Shopsmith.

Rich
What are you looking to do with it? There are a lot of adapters available and there are people that will make you custom ones. A Morse Taper one would need to be very large and it would not have the hole through the headstock which is one of the features people use with Morse tapers.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

One way shows up in this post:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... er+adapter

I seem to remember other efforts to use the 10ER Morse piece on a Mark 5, perhaps JPG can recall it.:)
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The link to the Nova G3 with 10ER adapter is what I'm currently using for some applcations but it is not a perfect solution and I would not mount anything that is not between centers using it. It is also short in mounting depth so a lot of longer tang parts will not fit. A very limited solution.

I've also worked on this:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=9497

I have a third generation designed, partically made but have not finished work on it. I'm not very driven to work on it so it is just sitting around waiting for me to finish just about any other project.

The key to the new version will be to turn each stack piece to assure the flatness. The critical holes will also be turned so one can controll them by getting close then testing and getting to a nice snug fit. This will mean that the face plate would become part of the whole and not be used for other things.

It is still not clear how close close needs to be. With in the use of buffing wheels etc it will be fine, turning pens I don't know.

Ed
rwilabee
Gold Member

Post by rwilabee »

Yes I just want to be able to use various drive centers between centers with my shopsmith. Where do you get the 10ER Adpaters.

Rich
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

rwilabee wrote:Yes I just want to be able to use various drive centers between centers with my shopsmith. Where do you get the 10ER Adpaters.

Rich
According to the diehard 10ER fans it is best gotten with a whole 10ER machine, which is what I, did but they do come up on ebay from time to time or perhaps someone here might have extra's laying around??

As I mentioned a lot of the MT2 parts have a long tang and this will not work with the method shown.

Ed
rwilabee
Gold Member

Post by rwilabee »

reible wrote:According to the diehard 10ER fans it is best gotten with a whole 10ER machine, which is what I, did but they do come up on ebay from time to time or perhaps someone here might have extra's laying around??

As I mentioned a lot of the MT2 parts have a long tang and this will not work with the method shown.

Ed
What part of the machine do they come with.

Thanks
eartigas
Gold Member

Post by eartigas »

In the tailstock

Here is one complete for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-10E-1 ... 2c8a9c1870
Ed
Carmel, NY
rwilabee
Gold Member

Post by rwilabee »

Got one thanks. I'm not familiar with the ER but the MT2 in the tail stock sure seems more stout that the way they do it now. But of course the new way you have some adjustment. The problem is if you are turning between centers and have a piece of wood a little out of balance it is very stressful on the MT2 in the tail stock. Especially if you have to use an MT2 extension because there isn't enough space for the wood and the Heavy Duty Tool rest to get to the tail stock with just a live center in it.

I wonder how many people turn with the stock banjo and tool rest. I actually had one of the stock banjo's crack so I went to the heavy duty tool rest but there are some trade offs.

Rich
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

The ER's tailstock IS adjustable, just not that much. It isn't built to be run off-center, just to be able to align the centers.

Banjo, would that be the base of the tool rest? Never heard of one cracking on any Model 10, but then, those are cast iron.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.