Zyliss Vise

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

claimdude
Gold Member

Re: Zyliss Vise

Post by claimdude »

Ed,

I agree with you. I would never pay the $300 or so that they list for at Advanced Machinery but I do have a limited use for one with my shop set up. Kind of a niche thing and I have no doubt that I will get more than my money's worth out of this tool.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

claimdude wrote:Ed,

I agree with you. I would never pay the $300 or so that they list for at Advanced Machinery but I do have a limited use for one with my shop set up. Kind of a niche thing and I have no doubt that I will get more than my money's worth out of this tool.
Exactly. I don't see myself using one alot, but I believe it will be very helpful occasionally.

I also think that at $400 new (today's price), the tool is presently greatly overpriced for what it is/does.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If I could not touch it and see it, I would not buy one for the prices that they are requesting. However, I sure wish I had another. I use my Zyliss vise almost every time I am in the shop.

BE CAREFUL THOUGH: There are a bunch of imitations out there. The imitations might be just as good but I don't know that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sadly many of those never/seldom used things are Shopsmiths.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

I thought I might jump in with a comment or two. I have two of these and since I make gun stocks as well as do a lot of carving, they come in very handy. I am more or less "Poor" when it comes to vises. The photos attached were taken after the mess was cleaned up but give an idea of the set-up for some carving. I threw in a couple of carvings for show.

Don G
P.S Spelling is not my cup of tea!
Attachments
IMGP9350 r.jpg
IMGP9350 r.jpg (209.25 KiB) Viewed 7363 times
IMGP9351 r.jpg
IMGP9351 r.jpg (154.02 KiB) Viewed 7363 times
IMGP9352 r.jpg
IMGP9352 r.jpg (171.74 KiB) Viewed 7354 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"She" does not look very happy!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I see all these buys of never used vises as a classic example of effectiveness of a smooth sales pitch to trigger impulse buying. People obviously were convinced to buy something that they would never use or to use it so little they can now sell them as never used or like new condition.
Interesting!
I don't know why you would conclude that purchase opportunities like claimdude's is the result of an impulse purchase. It could just as easily been the result of a very unfortunate occurrence in someones life resulting in this particular item not being used OR a very inappropriate gift. I have a few of those.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

I see the Amazon sells the vise for $699 plus tax. Not a small investment.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have had my Zyliss vise for a long time. I bought it at a Home Show many years ago (Excel spreadsheet says 1989 but I have reason to doubt that entry). I paid $138 for it (just looked that up). Yes, the salesman was probably pretty slick. One hundred and thirty eight dollars was a lot of money back then but I was working full time and the money flowed much too easily. Thankfully I was not as frugal as I am now.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

WmZiggy wrote:I see the Amazon sells the vise for $699 plus tax. Not a small investment.
You can get them much cheaper on eBay.

After Dusty recommended them, I watched eBay for a few weeks. The day came when supply temporarily exceeded demand, and I was able to buy one in like-new condition, in the original box, for $76 (including shipping).