Zyliss Vise

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Zyliss Vise

Post by dusty »

If you don't already have one of these, I highly recommend that you get one. I have had mine for years and I tend to take it for granted; using it only as a simple bench vise. That changed yesterday simply because we bought a new TV and a DVD/Video Cassette Recorder.

In the way of explanation - the VCR would not work and I had to spend some time relearning up the system. To do this, I took an old, old VCR off the shelf to use. I chose an old demo tape so that if I screwed up nothing would be lost. The demo tape just happened to be one for a Zyliss Vise. Now the attached video is not the same one. In fact, I believe the old one is a much better sales pitch than what is now on the web.

To make this long story short, I ended up watching that entire demo and decided that I needed to share.

Here is what I found online for the Zyliss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiGY1DCyjXY

If you get one, I guarantee that you will not be disappointed HOWEVER beware. There is more than one imitation out there. I can not declare one any better than the other but I do like my Zyliss.
Last edited by dusty on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Zyliss Vise

Post by JPG »

Where does one get the 'English' version! :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiGY1DCyjXY[/youtube]

Hey folks this software makes video links(youtube) soooo eeeeasy, we really need to use that feature.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Dusty,

Do you know if the bench clamps can go out to 3"? I think one of these would be a great addition for me; however, the place I envision using it has a 3" deep surface without adding on some sort of adapter (which would take additional minutes to put it on & take it off plus take up additional storage when not in use).
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I have had one of these for years, it came in a cardboard box. I have not used it very much.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

joedw00 wrote:I have had one of these for years, it came in a cardboard box. I have not used it very much.
If you want to get rid of it and clear up some space in your shop just let me know. I am sure arrangements can be made. :) :rolleyes:

If it came in a card board box, are you certain that it is Zyliss? Mine came in a plastic suit case.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Hi Dusty,
I bought mine in 79 or 80 and it came in a heavy cardboard box. I didn't use it much so sold it to a friend who used it to work on bicycles. One thing I remember when I sold it to him was his concern that it was genuine. I presumed that there was a knock off / counterfeit market. As far as I know he still uses it, though he no longer runs a bike shop.

Be well,
Ben
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

That is about when I got mine. Dusty I think I will keep it, I found that I can buy the molded carrying case for $39.95 + shipping seems a little high.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

roy_okc wrote:Dusty,

Do you know if the bench clamps can go out to 3"? I think one of these would be a great addition for me; however, the place I envision using it has a 3" deep surface without adding on some sort of adapter (which would take additional minutes to put it on & take it off plus take up additional storage when not in use).
No, they do not. I have a work bench that is made from two sheets of 1" MDF and they will not open far enough to clamp on that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

heh, i have ended up with a few of these in the boxes that come with buying a shopsmith. I wasn't surprised when i saw that the same guy who does the shopsmith demos in this area (and previously did them at the fairs and such) is the one who sells the z vise.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I was at Habitat for humanity restore and they have one that is older then mine, still in the cardboard box.
Joe