Zyliss Vise

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Zyliss Vise

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I had seen demo's of this vice probably 20 years ago or so but I haven't seen one lately.

Where can you buy one? What do they cost today?

I saw a warning on the Fine Woodworking forum (google search for Zyliss Vise) that said the jaws on the new vise are a different material and are breakable???????

I find only advance machinery sells them but names like "Advance Machinery" gives me pause.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

There are knockoffs that you want to be weary of but if you get a Zyliss I believe you will have a good vice.

I bought mine at a Home Show many years ago. It has been worked hard and is still being used almost daily.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I had seen demo's of this vice probably 20 years ago or so but I haven't seen one lately.

Where can you buy one? What do they cost today?

I saw a warning on the Fine Woodworking forum (google search for Zyliss Vise) that said the jaws on the new vise are a different material and are breakable???????

I find only advance machinery sells them but names like "Advance Machinery" gives me pause.
At least in my area, the rep who does the shopsmith demos (Mike Young) also happens to be the local Zyliss rep. He still does the Zyliss show at home shows, fairs, etc. You might try pinging him on facebook to see if he is still selling for them: https://www.facebook.com/shopsmithatLowes
Last edited by damagi on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I have an older one I bought off eBay fairly cheap. It clamps good on my solid core door bench top.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rlkeeney wrote:I have an older one I bought off eBay fairly cheap. It clamps good on my solid core door bench top.
1 3/8 or 1 1/2?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:
roy_okc wrote:Dusty,

Do you know if the bench clamps can go out to 3"? I think one of these would be a great addition for me; however, the place I envision using it has a 3" deep surface without adding on some sort of adapter (which would take additional minutes to put it on & take it off plus take up additional storage when not in use).
No, they do not. I have a work bench that is made from two sheets of 1" MDF and they will not open far enough to clamp on that.
Serious misstatement: I misspoke when I answer your original question. The clamp will not accommodate a 3" thick bench but they are considerably larger than 1".
Attachments
The Zyliss clamp opens to about 2 1/2".
The Zyliss clamp opens to about 2 1/2".
Zyliss Clamp 002 (Small).jpg (55.06 KiB) Viewed 8924 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

dusty wrote:
Serious misstatement: I misspoke when I answer your original question. The clamp will not accommodate a 3" thick bench but they are considerably larger than 1".
Thanks for clarifying and showing that, Dusty. I've started looking for a used system and will figure out how to make a quick(ish) way to mount to my current workbench; other things I might clamp it to would be well within that capacity.

Roy
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

JPG wrote:
rlkeeney wrote:I have an older one I bought off eBay fairly cheap. It clamps good on my solid core door bench top.
1 3/8 or 1 1/2?
1 7/8" Including the 1/8" hardboard top. There is plenty of room to spare.
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Yesterday I received a Zyliss "Profi-King Plus" that I bought off ebay. I'm unsure of how old it is, but the tool itself is in great condition, even the cardboard box (no plastic box) is in reasonable condition for what must be a decade or two or more old. This came with all the main pieces that appears to be sold with the current Z-Vise system (to include the portable drill holder, the adjustable positioning dohickey, and a couple different sets of plastic pads). I'll have to look again, not sure this came with all the same jaw pads.

I didn't measure yesterday, but the clamps appear to have a max opening of between 2-1/2" and 2-3/4". Now to figure out how to adapt to where I want to primarily use the set (3" top) so it will be quick and easy on and off.

Aside from the mounting clamp being too small, which I already knew thanks to Dusty, I like how the tool operates and am sure I'll make great use of it. Thanks, Dusty for starting this thread. I've been looking for something to give me this kind of capability for quite some time.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Did you receive a CD containing instructions on how to use the Zyliss.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty