Zyliss Vise

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Zyliss Vise

Post by dusty »

If I had seen it, you would have been bidding against me for that price.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

dusty wrote:If I had seen it, you would have been bidding against me for that price.
No I wouldn't .. because I only snipe on eBay! :D

But now it almost looks like I overpaid. Check out this listing of recent selling prices on eBay.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Most of those are already sold but the stated prices were a bit more enticing.

My brother is an avid garage and yard sale shopper. I have enlisted his assistance. I'll get another one soon, I hope.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
dusty wrote:If I had seen it, you would have been bidding against me for that price.

But now it almost looks like I overpaid. Check out this listing of recent selling prices on eBay.

So which ones are the real thing???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

dusty wrote:Most of those are already sold but the stated prices were a bit more enticing.

My brother is an avid garage and yard sale shopper. I have enlisted his assistance. I'll get another one soon, I hope.
All of those were already sold. I had checked the "Sold listings" checkbox under "Show only", on the left-hand control panel (as seen from Firefox on a PC). I find that a very useful way to determine the actual market price of stuff before I bid. The selling history goes back 90 days, I believe.

If you uncheck that box, or just do new search for "Zyliss vise", you'll see the open listings. Some of the bids on those are still very low.

But I have to agree, a garage/yard sale price would very likely be better yet, if you can find one. eBay is pretty efficient at bringing the full market price.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thanks!

You just taught me something about using eBay.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:

So which ones are the real thing???
I'm no expert -- in the photos I just looked for the Zyliss trademark on the packaging or on the unit. There is a prominent Zyliss trademark cast into the underside of the bench clamps.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (29.81 KiB) Viewed 8831 times
From what I could gather from a little Web research, there were only very slight differences in the Zyliss product over the years. The photos should tell you which widgets are included.

Interestingly, mine still had the original sales receipt stuck in the manual. It was purchased new by a doctor in 1981. The list price at the time was $169.95. But he got a $50 discount, for a net price of $119.95 plus tax.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Thanks!

You just taught me something about using eBay.

Lesson two! http://www.gixen.com/index.php
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

dusty wrote:If you don't already have one of these, I highly recommend that you get one. I have had mine for years and I tend to take it for granted; using it only as a simple bench vise. That changed yesterday simply because we bought a new TV and a DVD/Video Cassette Recorder.
If you get one, I guarantee that you will not be disappointed HOWEVER beware. There is more than one imitation out there. I can not declare one any better than the other but I do like my Zyliss.
I've had my Zyliss for about 40 years, give or take. It's got a few holes drilled in it here and there, for attaching this and that TO it, and for attaching IT to here and there, for whatever porpoise happened to jump up at the time. With its own parts (clamps, etc) and 2x4s you can- and I did- make 'it' a great big clamp (or 'vise' I guess) for Big stuff, like the 4' square table base that needed clamping after glue-up, for instance. (I don't have any pipe clamps)
And all kinds of other stuff.

I agree, altho I have no idea what the Kit costs today, it's a Buy, fer sher. And its own write-ups don't and can't do it real justice.
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

dusty wrote:
joedw00 wrote:I have had one of these for years, it came in a cardboard box. I have not used it very much.
And not just 'any' cardboard box!
Is this irony, er whut-- that original 'box', muchly patched, taped and repaired, became a "tote" for a variety of small clamps, while the Zyliss remained out and available (and used).