PowerPro Woes...

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro Woes...

Post by jsburger »

TomH wrote:UPDATE! :)

Returned Jim McCann's call this morning. He seems to be the master Headstock engineer. Great guy, very concerned about customer satisfaction, gave me a wonderful education on how that part of the headstock works and the changes from the old to the new set up. New bearings, etc. due to much higher speeds than the old SS. (BTW, he also gave me his personal cell phone # to call him, now that's customer service!)

He had notes on my headstock and indeed the quill was not within specs for concentricity and that was corrected along with making sure everything else was back to spec. When it left his shop, it was smooth, quiet and the quill retracted on it's own all the way. So the guess is Fedex dropped it along the way somewhere and knocked some things out of alignment. I did a test at his request and if you extend the quill and lock it in place, the vibe and noise goes away thus indicating something moved during shipping.

As for just getting a replacement head, that's good news for all of us, so-so news for me. They are swamped with orders right now and truly do not have any spares! That's good news because it means good biz for SS so we can all continue to enjoy our SS. So-so news for me as I will have to ship it back but Jim has committed to working on it ASAP and sending it back. So in the long run, very good news for me too as Jim is certain he can get this cleared up.

So, Jim is shipping me a return box, back it will go and I'll wait to see how it returns. All in all, this is the best solution available. Stand by for more updates when I get it back!
I have been thinking this all along. I don't think one should run an old quill in a power pro because I have always suspected the bearings were different due to the speed requirement. I guess a check of the part numbers would tell.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't share your concern about the bearings unless you are talking about running the headstock fullbore. The old bearings have been working at the OLD top end for many years. Just don't load them at 10,000rpm (anything above 7200).

What bearings are being used in the PowerPro Quill.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The old quill was part number 514071, the new number is 518210. If you search on the old number it comes up but it takes you to the new part. This makes since because there is no reason to have two versions in stock. So if you get a new quill it will be the new quill.

There may be just a bearing upgrade or it could be the tolerances and fits have also changed. If you simple assume that new bearings will upgrade your quill, well it might or it might not.

This is not new news, we have talked about it before and unless someone from shopsmith decides to tell us we are not going to know if it is as simple as a bearing upgrade.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

TomH wrote:
charlese wrote:Having trouble lifting the PowerPro down or up to the way tubes was a problem for me. Also fitting the headstock into the padded box for shipping.

I made a simple cradle sling - It helped immensely!!! No need to lift on the spindle/
PowerPro Sling.jpg

This grip isn't so much the issue although I do like that sling. After back surgery, I just can't lift 80lbs safely any more. I've achieved old fart status! :D

Wasn't sure if it was safe to extend quill and lift on it but that's a great idea too!

Thanks!
If FedEx dropping the shipping box can mess up the quill alignment, do you really want to take a chance by lifting the headstock with the quill? Not me.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

He be the powers that be that I referred to earlier! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
moiramph
Gold Member

Post by moiramph »

With the implementation of the Powerpro, we did change to high speed bearings on both the quill and the drive sleeve. With this change the "lubricant" in the bearings was upgraded for higher speeds. The bearings for the bandsaw were also upgraded at that time.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

moiramph wrote:With the implementation of the Powerpro, we did change to high speed bearings on both the quill and the drive sleeve. With this change the "lubricant" in the bearings was upgraded for higher speeds. The bearings for the bandsaw were also upgraded at that time.
That's quite interesting about the band saw. When/if one orders replacement bearings for the band saw, are the part numbers the same or have they changed?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

moiramph
Gold Member

Post by moiramph »

It was implemented as a running change in 2011, so the part numbers have stayed the same.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:I don't share your concern about the bearings unless you are talking about running the headstock fullbore. The old bearings have been working at the OLD top end for many years. Just don't load them at 10,000rpm (anything above 7200).

What bearings are being used in the PowerPro Quill.
Huh :confused: :confused:

If I put an old quill in a Power Pro head stock and can't/shouldn't run it at "full bore" what is the point of a Power Pro? Yes there other advantages but com'on man. 7200 RPM I thought the standard SS was 5200 RPM (5700?), half the Power Pro. Why do you think the DIY kit comes with a new quill? As had been said the part numbers have changed, sooo...
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

moiramph wrote:With the implementation of the Powerpro, we did change to high speed bearings on both the quill and the drive sleeve. With this change the "lubricant" in the bearings was upgraded for higher speeds. The bearings for the bandsaw were also upgraded at that time.
Dusty, do you want to run an old quill in your Power Pro? I certainly don't and won't.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT