PowerPro Woes...

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

TomH
Gold Member

PowerPro Woes...

Post by TomH »

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem:

Upgraded to PowerPro head stock. Works fine except in drill press mode, when extending or retracting the quill, there is a distinct vibration in the handle. Not there when motor is off or if motor is on but quill not moving.

Have spent tons of time on the phone with Shopsmith Tech support but nothing has worked. They are having me ship it back for service.

Since I had to wait 5 months to get one and Shopsmith can't tell me how long I'll be without my headstock, I'm a bit peeved. Nonetheless, curious if anyone else has had this issue?

Thanks!
Tom
Making scrap wood with style!
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro Woes...

Post by wa2crk »

Tom
Did you get a factory assembled headstock or did you get a DIY headstock. If you bought a complete headstock try installing your original quill and making another test. Actually whatever you bought you should have another quill to try.
You may also check the motor mounts and see if anything is not tightened properly
Bill V
TomH
Gold Member

Post by TomH »

wa2crk wrote:Tom
Did you get a factory assembled headstock or did you get a DIY headstock. If you bought a complete headstock try installing your original quill and making another test. Actually whatever you bought you should have another quill to try.
You may also check the motor mounts and see if anything is not tightened properly
Bill V

Was brand new, fully assembled head. Odd Shopsmith didn't ask me to try changing the quills or checking the mounts.

I just figure for $2,000 + it ought to work out of the box. Not impressed with QA procedures.

Thanks for the reply!
Tom
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

TomH wrote:
wa2crk wrote:Tom
Bill V

Was brand new, fully assembled head. Odd Shopsmith didn't ask me to try changing the quills or checking the mounts.

I just figure for $2,000 + it ought to work out of the box. Not impressed with QA procedures.

Thanks for the reply!
Does this vibration occur (A)under cutting load or (B)merely when advancing the quill with no load. If you do send it back, they might then inform you (B) is 'normal'. If (A) you need to check your cutting tools(bits...).

Used a drill press much?

P.S. I be curious for a description of this vibration.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Did they not offer you a loaner?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
TomH
Gold Member

Post by TomH »

Thanks for the replies...

1. Vibrates under no load (choice b). My old head never had this issue and yes, I use a drill press quite a bit. It also doesn't retract without pushing it. They had me remove the quill and remount it, readjust the set screw and so on but it mostly made things worse. If you ignore the issues, it drills just fine, no apparent reduction in power or ability. If feels like a chatter or like it's sticking on something and gets worse the faster the motor speed.

2. Nope, no loaner but they did send a prepaid shipping carton.
Tom
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am gonna guess a 'cocked/out of round coupler' or a bent spline.

I assume it does not vibrate unless the motor is running.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
TomH
Gold Member

Post by TomH »

That's right, it's only when the motor is running. Like I said my old head stock was smooth as silk and a pleasure to use. This was just an annoying mess.

Other than that, the PP head is great, less noisy and I don't have to keep digging the speed chart out of the mess on the bench. :D
Tom
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I did have a problem with my factory assembled headstock when it was new. The quill did not retract the same as yours. Try removing the quill and if you can blow out the spring housing to remove any debris that may be trapped. I replaced the bearings in my original quill with high speed bearings and that quill assembly is still in my headstock.
Bill V
PS You may want to check the motor and make sure that the set screw that hold the pulley on the motor shaft is not loose or missing. Mine came loose twice and the second time I found it the bottom of the motor pan. Blue Loctite cured that problem.
Last edited by wa2crk on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomH
Gold Member

Post by TomH »

wa2crk wrote:I did have a problem with my factory assembled headstock when it was new. The quill did not retract the same as yours. Try removing the quill and if you can blow out the spring housing to remove any debris that may be trapped. I replaced the bearings in my original quill with high speed bearings and that quill assembly is still in my headstock.
Bill V

Bill: Thanks. I've had the quill out several times at the request of Shopsmith but never thought about trying to blow out debris. Good idea! Unfortunately it's all packed up and waiting for FedEx right now. I guess I could unpack it and give it a shot. :confused:
Tom