ShopSmith owner of 50 years with some comments . . . .

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Jacob
Gold Member

ShopSmith owner of 50 years with some comments . . . .

Post by Jacob »

Here is my story. I am new to this forum but not to woodworking with the ShopSmith tools.

It started when my father-in-law-to-be introduced me to a Mark II. He had been one of the engineers who designed and built the first series of ShopSmiths back in the mid 1950s. When Magna Engineering (then located in Berkeley, California) sold the business to Yuba Power Products in 1956, he was one of the people who was provided with several parts that were not part of the transfer (as compensation).

They included new as well as used accessories and parts that were not in the inventory. Later I inherited all of this including his Mark V. . . .

However, in order for me to continue I need to know how to include pictures.
I see there is a 'img' button and the two sections, but how do I insert the picture from my desktop file?
There are some issues here I am not familiar with.

BTW to keep up the interest, I can show you an old accessory catalog and price list that might surprise you.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: ShopSmith owner of 50 years with some comments . . . .

Post by wa2crk »

Jacob
Go to the bottom of this page and click on the "post reply" button.
This will take you to the page where you can compose a message and add photos.
You may have to resize the images to make them fit the criteria for the board.
When you want to include an image in your post place the cursor in the spot you want it to appear and select "place in line" and the pic should appear in your post.
It is a bit confusing at first but if you try a few times you will get the hang of it pretty quick.
Bill V
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Jacob wrote:Here is my story. I am new to this forum but not to woodworking with the ShopSmith tools.

It started when my father-in-law-to-be introduced me to a Mark II. He had been one of the engineers who designed and built the first series of ShopSmiths back in the mid 1950s. When Magna Engineering (then located in Berkeley, California) sold the business to Yuba Power Products in 1956, he was one of the people who was provided with several parts that were not part of the transfer (as compensation).

They included new as well as used accessories and parts that were not in the inventory. Later I inherited all of this including his Mark V. . . .

However, in order for me to continue I need to know how to include pictures.
I see there is a 'img' button and the two sections, but how do I insert the picture from my desktop file?
There are some issues here I am not familiar with.

BTW to keep up the interest, I can show you an old accessory catalog and price list that might surprise you.
Welcome! I and I'm sure many of the members would love to see your pics.

You can add pictures when you create or edit a message. Immediately below the box where you type, you will see the "Save draft", "Preview" and "Submit" buttons. Below these are two links -- one for "Options" and the other is "Upload attachment."

Clicking "Upload attachment" brings up a button allowing you to "Browse" for a picture on your computer and, after selecting the file, you upload it by clicking "Add the File." Files must be 2 MB or less and 1440 x 1080 pixels or less.

After you have added the file, you still need to select "Place in line" which then puts the photo wherever your cursor is in the message.

Sounds confusing, I'm sure, but not bad once you've done it. Hardest part is resizing files if they are too large. You'll need some software to do that.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Welcome to the forum.

You said "Mark II".

It would not be the missing 'second' Mark I per chance? Only two were made. Timing is not right IIRC.

BTW that vintage is a Mark 5. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Jacob
Gold Member

Post by Jacob »

First let me try to explain to one of the replies.
The Mark II was also known as the Mark 2. It was a smaller and lighter weight version that was sold by Sears and Monkeywards.
There are still many of them around. See http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.c ... rk-ii.html
There are many who did not like it because it was 'cheap' and did not compare with the more sturdy Mark V. But I made lots of furniture and other items with it. My son-in-law still has it with the band-saw and other things that I gave him. As a 'power supplier' to some of those accessories it works fine. But, yes it leaves a lot to be desired as a table saw.
Indeed the Mark V was originally known as Mark 5. But was there any difference?
Attachments
shopsmith 2d.jpg
shopsmith 2d.jpg (340.23 KiB) Viewed 6035 times
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Welcome and I think I can speak for all here, what a nice Christmas present with what you are willing to share!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
Jacob
Gold Member

Post by Jacob »

ERLover wrote:Welcome and I think I can speak for all here, what a nice Christmas present with what you are willing to share!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Thank you ERLover and a Merry Christmas to you and all.
Let me continue (if I remember where I left off and understand how to add pictures).

What I would like to share with you are some pictures of accessories that you might not be familiar with. I also have the original owner’s manuals and a pricelist that might be of interest to some of you.

How many have the small table extension shown below? It was intended to give you about eight more inches for the miter gauge travel so you could cut wide pieces like plywood, etc. It clamps to the front of the table rail with a simple knurled knob underneath.
shopsmith 16a.jpg
shopsmith 16a.jpg (268.8 KiB) Viewed 6009 times
Let me know if this is of interest and you would like to see more.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Jacob wrote:
ERLover wrote:Welcome and I think I can speak for all here, what a nice Christmas present with what you are willing to share!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Thank you ERLover and a Merry Christmas to you and all.
Let me continue (if I remember where I left off and understand how to add pictures).

What I would like to share with you are some pictures of accessories that you might not be familiar with. I also have the original owner’s manuals and a pricelist that might be of interest to some of you.

How many have the small table extension shown below? It was intended to give you about eight more inches for the miter gauge travel so you could cut wide pieces like plywood, etc. It clamps to the front of the table rail with a simple knurled knob underneath.
shopsmith 16a.jpg
Let me know if this is of interest and you would like to see more.
I had the miter gauge extension at one time. After I upgraded to the 510 I had no use for it. I eventually sold it on eBay.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Just picked up/rescued an ER with a speed changer a few weeks ago, got a table extension like yours in the pic with it, did not know they had them for an Er, have one from a greenie table too.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

And FWIW that is a 'greenie' vintage front table extension. Yes they vary due to the cast in front rail.

Interesting that you referred to it as a Mark II.

Those of us who have been around those 50+ years do be picky re 5/V and 2/II and VII/7. :D Unfortunately most now only have visibility to "V" ...

Those who own 505 - 520 do not understand the reason for that extension. They wouldn't fit anyway.

I for one look forward to the revelation of unique stuff you might have.

I assume you have a Gilmer greenie.

Bet you have those long flat steel hold downs.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange