Resaw blade

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

CWD
Gold Member

Resaw blade

Post by CWD »

I am looking into buying a resaw blade for my SS band saw, I know I need to get a 1/2 inch wide blade, but how many teeth per. inch should I get and is one blade better than the other. I will be using it for cherry, oak and walnut maybe some maple.

TIA
Chris
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: Resaw blade

Post by ERLover »

I like Timber Wolf blades, 3t PI, here is there blade selection site.
http://timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I agree with ERLover. The Timberwolf 1/2 X 3PC is designed for resawing. I also have the highly touted Highland Woodworking wood slicer blade. It works just fine also but is no better than the Timberwolf IMO. The biggest difference is the price. The Highland wood slicer 29.99. The Timberwolf is 17.20 direct from Suffolk Machinery (Timberwolf). I always buy direct from Timberwolf. They sell their blades cheaper than any reseller I have found.

FWIW, I have the same blade in 3/4" on my 14" Powermatic band saw with the 6" riser block. It works just fine also.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've used "other" blades since I first got a bandsaw back in the early 70's. I found I like timber wolf blades best for most cutting but I started using the woodslicer when it came out and loved it. Now I always buy the woodslicer because it is something I know works well for me. Perhaps I'd be happy with something else as well but I haven't even thought about trying.

So while it might cost more I would still vote for the woodslicer. I have one for both of my saws and when I need to I will in all likely hood go back to Highland and get another one.

Perhaps a little off topic but I also get my wet wood bandsaw blades from Highland. Another case of finding some thing I like and trust and sticking with it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

I have both Timber Wolf and the Slicer. I keep the slicer mounted since I like it better, but the Timber Wolf is very capable for the woods you mention. Where I find the noticeable difference and prefer the Slicer is when slicing thinner (< 1/4")- parallel with growth rings. The TW feels better with thicker slabs perpendicular to growth rings.
Maybe it's because of how I use the blades, the Slicer seems to stay sharper longer (but it really could be attributed to direction of grain and thickness).
The cost difference is significant.
Except for 1/16" SS blades I get from EBay when they show up and the Slicer for resaw, I buy all other sizes from TimberWolf. A good friend bought the 3 assortment pack for $50 and really likes it. When he needed some very tight turns I gave him one of my slightly used 1/16", but for everything else the three sizes work well.

Be well,
Ben
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Recently got the woodslicer and I am quite happy with it. Never tried the timberwolf so I can't compare.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

MaxClass
Bronze Member

Post by MaxClass »

I recently purchase the 5/8" bandsaw blade direct from SS. I needed to resew some Sapele that was 1" thick and just under 6" in width. After installing the blade and setting the tension to the 1/2" value and adjusting my fence so that is was exactly parallel with the blade I was able to resew the board down to .110 with almost no variation edge to edge.

Bottom line is I am totally happy with the results, period. Could not ask for better cuts.

Max
~~~
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I am a woodslicer fan. Best at re-sawing but I hardly ever take it off even though it is not perfect for every cut, it supports everything I do.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

I looked on the Timberwolf site http://timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php to find the right blade for resawing 2x12s that are more than 20 years old and very dense. Even a newly sharpened carbide blade doesn't do much with this wood. I can't decipher their tables.

Suggestions from someone who has been there and done that.

Mochas Gracias, Amigos. Learn the language because if thing continue you need to be bi-lingual.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

db5 wrote:I looked on the Timberwolf site http://timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php to find the right blade for resawing 2x12s that are more than 20 years old and very dense. Even a newly sharpened carbide blade doesn't do much with this wood. I can't decipher their tables.

Suggestions from someone who has been there and done that.

Mochas Gracias, Amigos. Learn the language because if thing continue you need to be bi-lingual.
First of all, you can't resaw 2X12's on a SS band saw so what is your question?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT