SS Oscillating Drum Sander Attachment

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

SS Oscillating Drum Sander Attachment

Post by jsburger »

I said in another thread that I thought the oscillating drum sander attachment was a bit cheesy. I don't have one so it was just my opinion based on pictures. Some of you said it actually worked very well but was a bit of a pain to install.

Now that I have two dedicated drill presses (10ER and MK V) it looks more attractive. It is on sale until midnight Sunday. I would like to hear from any of you that have one and how you like it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Re: SS Oscillating Drum Sander Attachment

Post by ERLover »

jsburger wrote:I said in another thread that I thought the oscillating drum sander attachment was a bit cheesy. I don't have one so it was just my opinion based on pictures. Some of you said it actually worked very well but was a bit of a pain to install.

Now that I have two dedicated drill presses (10ER and MK V) it looks more attractive. It is on sale until midnight Sunday. I would like to hear from any of you that have one and how you like it.
CHEESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: It reminds me of my moms Singer pedal powered sewing machine :eek: For when on sale at HF or Menards you can get a stand alone 4 1/2" oscillating Spindle Sander for $109, got mine from Menards, same as HF, with a sale and $20 rebate for $79 a few years ago.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Since it was on sale I ordered one today and of course it is currently out of stock. Someone in another thread said it was a bit tricky to install but since this is going on my dedicated drill press it will never have to be removed. Just remove the arm and cable from the quill feed shaft and install the feed lever. You can also loosen the clamp and slide it up the tubes an inch or two to disengage the drive so the gear box is not turning all the time although I am not sure that is really necessary.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

jsburger wrote:Since it was on sale I ordered one today and of course it is currently out of stock. Someone in another thread said it was a bit tricky to install but since this is going on my dedicated drill press it will never have to be removed. Just remove the arm and cable from the quill feed shaft and install the feed lever. You can also loosen the clamp and slide it up the tubes an inch or two to disengage the drive so the gear box is not turning all the time although I am not sure that is really necessary.
I am looking forward to your review....
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

If you do a lot of work with the drum sander you will like it! Especially since you will not have frequent disassembly.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

Oscillating drum sander is currently out of stock, but expected by 04/29/2016 per my online order.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

OK, I ordered the drum sander on 17 Apr and it was on back order. A couple days later I called SS to see if there was an update on availability. Gail checked while we were on the phone but no info. She said she would email me when she found the answer. The next day I got an email from her that said they expect delivery on 29 Apr, Friday.

I checked today Monday and it is shipped FedEX with delivery on Friday.

That is good service to me. Maybe not what some of you expect but SS is not Amazon.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Please post a review after you get to use it! Also, I read on the Shopsmith Tool Hunter blog that if you remove the cover with the Shopsmith logo, you'll get an interesting surprise (I'm guessing the name of another company that makes the major component). So, if you are adventurous, let us know!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

My online order status says item was shipped 05/02/2016. Tracking # per my online order says package has been picked up and is at Fedex in Vandalia, Ohio. Won't be long now!

Sure wish they could offer the OPR again sometime in the future.
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Oh guys, I have a stand alone, with sale and rebate cost me 79$ from the BBS, 1/4-3" drums X 4.5" and not a morfidite like the SS is. IMHO, that is one of the way most far out there SPT that the MS has.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)