SS Oscillating Drum Sander Attachment

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pieceseeker
Gold Member

Re: SS Oscillating Drum Sander Attachment

Post by pieceseeker »

algale wrote:Please post a review after you get to use it! Also, I read on the Shopsmith Tool Hunter blog that if you remove the cover with the Shopsmith logo, you'll get an interesting surprise (I'm guessing the name of another company that makes the major component). So, if you are adventurous, let us know!
Received my ODS today.

Gearbox Assembly.jpg
Gearbox Assembly.jpg (59.27 KiB) Viewed 7476 times
Went straight for the gearbox
Gearbox Assembly 2.jpg
Gearbox Assembly 2.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 7476 times
Nothing surprising here, just a steel worm drive gear and a plastic driven gear.
No names, trade marks, made in China, or Kilroy was here!

I'll be adding a little more lube in here before using. :cool:
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

pieceseeker wrote:
algale wrote:Please post a review after you get to use it! Also, I read on the Shopsmith Tool Hunter blog that if you remove the cover with the Shopsmith logo, you'll get an interesting surprise (I'm guessing the name of another company that makes the major component). So, if you are adventurous, let us know!
Received my ODS today.

Gearbox Assembly.jpg
Went straight for the gearbox
Gearbox Assembly 2.jpg
Nothing surprising here, just a steel worm drive gear and a plastic driven gear.
No names, trade marks, made in China, or Kilroy was here!

I'll be adding a little more lube in here before using. :cool:
Thanks for trying! Here's what I read:

Now, you might be asking yourself "What's with the Shopsmith Oscillating Drum Sander pic?" Good question, and one of these days remind me to tell you about Shopsmith's ingenious use of the automotive water pump bearing assembly, but for those of you who own the Shopsmith Oscillating Drum Sander rig shown at right, take a minute and remove the four short screws that hold the aluminum name plate on. Now, remove it and flip it over... SURPRISE! Very clever guys in the SS Model Shop!
See here. http://shopsmith-tool-hunter.blogspot.c ... nders.html
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Mine will be here Friday, FedEx.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

I hope you guys are happy with that morfidite with a nylon drive gear and the price instead of a 99$ ish stand alone. Just MHO :)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Why don't you post a few pics of the interior of your wonderful $99 stand-alone?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

algale wrote:Why don't you post a few pics of the interior of your wonderful $99 stand-alone?

Last post it was $79 so the price has gone up? Anyway it is quite possible that the cheap models will not come apart easily but I too am waiting to see the inside.

In the mean time here is a mini review I did some years back:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/woodw ... -t629.html

Here is another discussion on the subject:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/woodw ... t9454.html

There might be more if anyone wants to do a search.......

I would worry about the nylon gear arrangement, this is the part that makes/lets the quill go up and down but is not driving the sander. Like any other sander you let the sandpaper do the work. If you push too hard it will just stop going up and down as the return is just the quill spring doing the returning, to much press and that stops happening.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

@ reible > Last post it was $79 so the price as gone up? Anyway it is quite possible that the cheap models will not come apart easily but I too am waiting to see the inside.
It sold for at the time for $119, on sale for $99 and a 20$ in store rebate at Menards when I bought it about 2 years ago, normally just on sale for $99.
I could not find it at Menards site, but the same thing at Harbor Freight, here is theres.
http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-osci ... 69257.html
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

My! Thats a generous table on the Central Machinery sander.

They should've shown it with the fence installed.
pieceseeker
Gold Member

Post by pieceseeker »

I wouldn't worry about the plastic gear, it is listed in the online order form as a Delrin gear. A google search shows that Delrin is a very high quality durable plastic designed for harsh high friction applications.

A replacement would run around $25 after tax and shipping.

There is a parts breakdown (30 separate items) and part #'s for every item in the 4 page manual.