Shopsmith Mark V MINI Power Station

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billmayo
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Mark V MINI Power Station

Post by billmayo »

I obtained a badly damaged Power Station that had been shipped in mid 2000. I adapted a Mark V reversible headstock as a power source for this Power Station. This has been my sharpening station for joiner and planer knives since 2010. I was not totally happy with the Power Station as only one SPT could be mounted and used. Early this year, I took part of a benchtop MINI frame kit and mounted it on the Power Station so I could mount 2 different SPTs or attachments on it and used the same Mark V reversible headstock. This takes about half the floor space as the MINI Shopsmith uses. I am in the process of modifying some 500 main tables to fit the SPT holes so I can add a sawing function to the MINI. I added set screws in the base arm to hold this table or whatever is mount in the base arm SPT holes more securely.
1-002.JPG
1-002.JPG (110.78 KiB) Viewed 5458 times
kwindinwood
Bronze Member

Re: Shopsmith Mark V MINI Power Station

Post by kwindinwood »

Bill,
I really like the small footprint. Are you
using modified tilt base for mounting
base tubes?
Karl
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I used two base arms because if I attempted to tilted this setup, the MINI Power Station would tilt over plus there is no area to place what ever you would be drilling or stop the tilting. I wanted the smallest foot print I could get. I removed the bolts on the left side, tilted the frame with a stool under the right side and removed the left base arm to install the headstock. Then reversed the procedure. I only wanted to use this MINI Power Station to drive SPTs and attachments from either end of the headstock. It has a reversible motor. This is currently used as a sharpening station but I plan to use this MINI Power Station as a 10" table saw and power for a SPT when I finish the main 500 table to fit in the SPT holes. I have a welding jig for this modification. Note: I have 3" casters on this MINI Power Station which makes it really easy to move.
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Great to hear from you Bill!
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I have been thinking about making a 'Mini' as an alternate to my Power Station. There are many older threads on the subject with variations on the Mini (or Deputy) theme. I wanted to revisit this thread to see if anyone here is aware of how Bill Mayo modified the main table and trunnion assembly to fit without a carriage.(?)

And a second question: Can I make a mini from two Headrests and zero bases? If anyone has done this, do you know the length difference between bench and way tube for this configuration?

Note - While I like the small footprint, I don't think the Power Station version shown here is for me. I will probably go with a cut down Mark Base.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Had not thought about it since I always assumed the difference was 1/2".

Will attempt to figger it out later.

Maybe not! The shop gremlins ran off with my loose(unattached) headrest.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I once made an adjustable "Sand Flee"-like attachment from a discarded table/trunion set. I believe I had hacksawed part of the casting of the table, and JB-welded it back together at a shorter length which fit the accessory ends of the Mk5 rather than the Carriage. Actual welding would be superior of course.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

And... I found that thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2116
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

nuhobby wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:53 am I once made an adjustable "Sand Flee"-like attachment from a discarded table/trunion set. I believe I had hacksawed part of the casting of the table, and JB-welded it back together at a shorter length which fit the accessory ends of the Mk5 rather than the Carriage. Actual welding would be superior of course.
That is very cool! Looking at your pics and the first pic of this thread, it looks like Bill probably cut the portion of the casting that one table tube goes into and relocated it in order to maintain the table mounting points. I'm looking at a 510/520 trunnion and that looks like that would be difficult at best. I can probably find a way if I decide the main table and trunnions are must-have.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

DLB wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:45 am
nuhobby wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:53 am I once made an adjustable "Sand Flee"-like attachment from a discarded table/trunion set. I believe I had hacksawed part of the casting of the table, and JB-welded it back together at a shorter length which fit the accessory ends of the Mk5 rather than the Carriage. Actual welding would be superior of course.
That is very cool! Looking at your pics and the first pic of this thread, it looks like Bill probably cut the portion of the casting that one table tube goes into and relocated it in order to maintain the table mounting points. I'm looking at a 510/520 trunnion and that looks like that would be difficult at best. I can probably find a way if I decide the main table and trunnions are must-have.

- David
Consider that the smaller "500" table is more suitable in this application.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange