DIY Jointer Knife Sharpening Jig Accuracy

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wesneveu
Gold Member

DIY Jointer Knife Sharpening Jig Accuracy

Post by wesneveu »

I have seen on the internet many iterations of jointer knife sharpening jigs whose basic construction consists of a wood block with two 45 degree saw kerfs in it, the knife secured with set screws. It seems to me this would only be accurate if the knives were precision ground as a matched set beforehand and the jig used for honing. Any variation in knife width would cause the jig to hold both knives at other than the desired angle as well as different angles on each knife.

Is there a simple DIY design jointer knife sharpening jig that sharpens one blade at a time used by anyone on the fourm with good result?

garys
Platinum Member

Re: DIY Jointer Knife Sharpening Jig Accuracy

Post by garys »

There are ways you can sharpen them yourself, but I took the easy way out and drop mine off at a local guy who sharpens them for me. It costs very little and I don't have to build or buy a jig to do it myself.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Yes, there are DIY jigs but why not use one of these: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... rpener.htm

Look at the cost of replacement knives. Having a reliable sharpening jig on hand is well justified. You do also need to invest in a conical disc to use the jig but I don't believe you would regret the investment.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mr.d
Gold Member

Post by mr.d »

The SS jig is on my bucket list.
2004 Golden Anniversary 520, 1992 510 "Shorty" - Rebuilt November 2013, Pro Planer, SS Workbench Pro, PM 3520B, Ridgid R4511, Incra RT, Jet 16" BS, HF 6" Jointer, MLCS HRT, HF 12" Slider, Rockler RT, Grizzly & HF DC with Super Dust Deputy.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A 'single' 45° saw kerf.

Set screws if desired.

Setup using the rip fence as a guide.

Do not move either quill or fence between sharpening/honing each blade.

Minuscule adjustment between grind depth adjustments(once per blade SET[3 blades]).

Works better for grinding with a conical disk.(allows different grind angles and grinds a small area at a time.)

Works better for honing with a flat disk.(super fine grit)

Planer get the SS jig.

Precise - no.

Effectiveness - depends highly upon operator discipline and technique(holding/moving).

Good enough - depends upon previous line.

Secret - slow rpm of disc for grinding / no rpm for honing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange