Shopsmith Router table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Router table

Post by rjent »

I have a chance to buy a Shopsmith Router table with a Porter Cable 6902 router in it. Supposed to be all 100 percent, gentleman died and a neighbor is selling the stuff for his widow.

It is the metal, bolt together type of structure with some jigs and bits for about $350.00.
router table.jpg
router table.jpg (72.82 KiB) Viewed 23512 times
Is this a good table for routing in everyone's opinion? I know the router is worth 50 to 75 dollars used so there is that. I am not really asking price thoughts (although feel free to input if you want :) ), I am just asking if these are any good. Are there any quirks, or gotchas that I need to be aware of.

Thanks in advance!
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Router table

Post by masonsailor2 »

Seems a little pricey for used table.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I have no experience with router tables. Not much with routers either.

That said, is that a SS table?(extruded 'slot' shape relevant).

The hold downs look SS but the fence is home made.

Assuming the table is substantial, the base looks ok.

A lot depends upon the stoutness of it all.

I think you will be the best judge of it's adequacy.

Seems a bit high to me also. But what do I know about 'your' market?

Wish I could be more objective, but it looks ok to me functionally. What is the router mounting plate - adjustanble etc.?

So mote it be.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

OK, since this isn't getting much activity, maybe more pictures? :D
router table 2.jpg
router table 2.jpg (66.03 KiB) Viewed 23472 times
router table 3.jpg
router table 3.jpg (59.85 KiB) Viewed 23472 times
router table 4.jpg
router table 4.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 23472 times
router table 5.jpg
router table 5.jpg (57.92 KiB) Viewed 23472 times
Does this help anyone?

If 350 is too pricey, and since SS doesn't make them anymore, what would be a good offer ..... ?
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

The router is worth $50 or so used, so all together probably $150 or so, maybe $200 if you really are into it.

Since the router has almost 0 crossover to the rest of the shopsmith system, there isn't a huge incentive like there is on other tools. The main benefit here is that the T-Track slot would fit a shopsmith sized miter guage...but that can be solved on other tables.

The main reason to get shopsmith router setups is when you can find an overarm pin router standalone, especially if it has the under mount router setup as well. In that situation you are getting some real value.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is the same table I have except I also have the over arm router bit. If you were to come across the arm minus table you would then have a set up for it.

You can use the table with the fence system it has or upgrade. Here is an example:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/woodw ... 18323.html

If it comes with the manual it will give you some jigs to make to add some uniqueness to it, some will be for the over arm while others work for the below the table router. You can see some of them here:

http://s589.photobucket.com/user/reible ... t=4&page=1

I'm a big fan of variable speed routers, if this is the older PC then it is single speed. I have two of them and they have held up well but they lack the speed adjustment. There are add on boxes to cure that, I have one from quite a while ago from MLSC I think.

They were also drilled for the very early versions of the incra jig so if you have one of those or decide to get one then that is another advantage(they started making them again a few years back).

As is the router plate is not set up to take reduction rings or guide bushings. I made an insert for mine to let me use them, something important to me. Keep this in mind but do as you see fit, that can also be a safety issue.........

Price does seem high, but again where you are maybe that is normal. I would do a flatness test as some people have found the table sagging. Mine use to be fine but I have not check it lately. It can be fixed but it might be a talking point to lower the amount they want for it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ShopmanDave75
Bronze Member

Post by ShopmanDave75 »

I think the price is a little high, too... I have the "other" SS table on my overarm router table. It doesn't have the undermount feature, so I can't say first hand how this one would work, but I have some thoughts: It looks like the insert holding the router is "universal," so there are a lot of holes/slots that will make the plastic flex. If you plan on doing anything that needs to be accurate, you might be disappointed. The table itself looks similar to mine, and I like it. It's slippery enough, especially when I keep it clean. The fence is so-so, being two aluminum extrusions. I always put on home-made faces, sometimes with T-slots for hold downs (similar to what's in your photos). I just mounted mine on a Kreg Mobile Workstand yesterday! Very stable, and mobile with the locking castors installed. I don't think the bolt-together stand is too sturdy. Another thought: Since the owner passed away, and the neighbor is the one selling it, are you sure the Overarm attachment isn't laying around somewhere? It looks a little cluttered in the background, so maybe it's there and he doesn't know it. If that is there, and included, the price is reasonable.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Dick, I wouldn't pay more than two bills. If that.
I have the OAR set up, same table. I do a lot of table routing. I wouldn't consider using my OAR table for any under table mounted routing.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Is that the OAR on the floor to the right of the stand in the first picture of this post? It looks like it could be but is covered in saw dust and not a good angle.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

OK, thank you all. I made an offer of 150 to him with the reasons you all have stated. I may hear back tomorrow, or I may not ... Thanks to all of your responses. All good points.

Brenda/Ed/Gene/Dave/damagi/Paul, he sold the over arm router rig separately (that may mean it is hard to find? ) so I know that is an issue/fact.

I will let you guys know If he counters. I may be seeing this wrong, but my Mark 7 does a good job of over routing at 10000 RPM for my skill level, (as well as under except for the tubes for that matter), so I wasn't really looking for a over arm anyway.

Again, as usual, sound advice, thanks for the help! :cool:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild