SHOP SMITH TABLE IDENTIFICATION

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodmeister
Gold Member

SHOP SMITH TABLE IDENTIFICATION

Post by woodmeister »

what model of shop smith has two slots in the surface of main table?? 505 or what?
Thanks,
Tom
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: SHOP SMITH TABLE IDENTIFICATION

Post by JPG »

woodmeister wrote:what model of shop smith has two slots in the surface of main table?? 505 or what?
Thanks,
Tom
Mark 5(later greenies, goldies, early SS Inc.).

The purpose is to allow ripping without requiring the rip fence to bridge the main/aux table gap.

When the dies were replaced, the second slot was not included.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

It was sometime in the 1960's when they introduced the dual slot configuration. I am not certain whether it originated in the Mark VII unit, or was made for the Mark V 500 first, but it was part of the Mark VII Table of the 1960's.

See Figure 23 from the Mark VII Restored Manual...

Everett
Figure 23 sized for forum.png
Figure 23 sized for forum.png (1 MiB) Viewed 24564 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:It was sometime in the 1960's when they introduced the dual slot configuration. I am not certain whether it originated in the Mark VII unit, or was made for the Mark V 500 first, but it was part of the Mark VII Table of the 1960's.

See Figure 23 from the Mark VII Restored Manual...

Everett

Figure 23 sized for forum.png

Go back one post! ;) ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:
Go back one post! ;) ;)
I read the original post and started to answer it, then got called away for an hour. By the time I got back, you had already replied with the answer to my question before I finished and posted my reply.

So, it originated with the later Greenies and was already in production when the Mark VII was introduced.

Glad to know that!

You always have something to teach me that I didn't know!

Thanks,

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:
JPG wrote:
Go back one post! ;) ;)
I read the original post and started to answer it, then got called away for an hour. By the time I got back, you had already replied with the answer to my question before I finished and posted my reply.

So, it originated with the later Greenies and was already in production when the Mark VII was introduced.

Glad to know that!

You always have something to teach me that I didn't know!

Thanks,

Everett
THAT happens to thee also? :D

I wish I knew whether ALL the greenies had it. I simply do not know, but seem to recall seeing ones without it. No idea when/where.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

I saw a site once showing all the machines all set up and believe it showed the tables but do not remember where I saw it.
Thanks for the responses as it still remains a mystery lol. My friend said it was a 505 but he must be wrong too.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

woodmeister wrote:I saw a site once showing all the machines all set up and believe it showed the tables but do not remember where I saw it.
Thanks for the responses as it still remains a mystery lol. My friend said it was a 505 but he must be wrong too.
A 505 is a 510 without the floating tables, tubes and adjustable legs.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Did a little digging and found more, but do not know when it was introduced, or officially discontinued. Early M5's Mark 5's didn't have it. Later Mark V 500's didn't have it. Some did. The 1960's Mark VII did.

Support indicated that engineering felt it weakened the table and it was phased out, but before the current owners owned Shopsmith.

Not much help on establishing a date though.

Update Ed noted that this photo is of the wong side of the table in a reply below. See corrected photo in subsequent post below with a different view from this manual.

Everett
M5 Greenie Owners Manual.png
M5 Greenie Owners Manual.png (668.83 KiB) Viewed 24375 times
Last edited by everettdavis on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

I appreciate all the efforts put into finding information. Must be a greenie then.
Thank you all