SPEED INCREASER

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Re: SPEED INCREASER

Post by rjent »

The real question .... have we answered woodmeister's question? ... LOL
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

rjent wrote:The real question .... have we answered woodmeister's question? ... LOL
I think the general consensus is to get a router and table for the money. Pretty much 100% get away from the SI if you have a power pro, but it could be useful if you do not.

I personally see a good router as more useful, especially paired with a table (homemade or otherwise). Plus you can take a router to the work easily, something the SS SI won't do.

As for price... I wouldn't pay much except to complete a SS SPT collection. However, I am bias as I love my 2 routers and wouldn't go to the SS over them for anything... But I also do not have a PP.
-Beave
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

Beave2012 wrote:
rjent wrote:The real question .... have we answered woodmeister's question? ... LOL
I think the general consensus is to get a router and table for the money. Pretty much 100% get away from the SI if you have a power pro, but it could be useful if you do not.

I personally see a good router as more useful, especially paired with a table (homemade or otherwise). Plus you can take a router to the work easily, something the SS SI won't do.

As for price... I wouldn't pay much except to complete a SS SPT collection. However, I am bias as I love my 2 routers and wouldn't go to the SS over them for anything... But I also do not have a PP.
I recently purchased a Shopsmith 520 which came with a speed increaser and speed reducer. I have a nice self-made router table set up on an extension table base. It has a Rockler router lift that fits my Porter Cable 690 router. It is outfitted with t-track and a dual faced fence with t-track as well. Dual faced means that it has a low and high profile.

I am debating with myself to sell the increaser, to gain more funds to finish out my missing accessories. Is there any reason to keep the increaser, considering I have the router table set-up? I guess the only reason would be having the ability to run shaper cutters on the shaper spindle? Also does Shopsmith sell a ball bearing rub collar upgrade for the shaper spindle?

Thanks
Jerry
Harrison, AR
Shopsmith Mk V 520
SPT's: jointer, band saw
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

gac5ss wrote:Also does Shopsmith sell a ball bearing rub collar upgrade for the shaper spindle?

Thanks
They do sell sell a shaper spindle with ball bearing rub collars. https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... er_spindle
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I had a speed increaser and never used it much before I eventually sold it. In my opinion, if you want to use the shaper bits I would just use them directly using the max Mark 5 speed with a slower feed rate and sell the increaser. Now the PowerPro upgrade is a different story because it provides not only the higher speed but the power required to adequately make the cut.
procrastinator
Gold Member

Post by procrastinator »

I changed over to the PowerPro years ago. I have a Speed Increaser sitting in the box that I recall using twice. It worked well when I used it. If you would like to send me a PM, I will dust off the box and inventory that all the parts are there . I would enjoy someone using this tool instead of collection dust!
gac5ss
Gold Member

Post by gac5ss »

procrastinator wrote:I changed over to the PowerPro years ago. I have a Speed Increaser sitting in the box that I recall using twice. It worked well when I used it. If you would like to send me a PM, I will dust off the box and inventory that all the parts are there . I would enjoy someone using this tool instead of collection dust!
I searched Google for past eBay sales on the SS speed increaser. It appears that the average going eBay price is in the $225 range for the increaser with a 1/2" shaper shaft with non-ball bearing rub collars. I see one currently at $340 asking price plus shipping of $20. No shaft, but does have an owners manual.

At $225, I will probably keep it, at least until I determine if I don't like its performance by using it.
Jerry
Harrison, AR
Shopsmith Mk V 520
SPT's: jointer, band saw