SPEED INCREASER

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodmeister
Gold Member

SPEED INCREASER

Post by woodmeister »

Wondering what your thoughts would be on purchasing a speed increaser. Routers are higher speeds and other than shaper what would they be beneficial in having. Have a used one for sale and not sure how much it would be worth buying etc. Your thoughts
Tom
rjent
Platinum Member

Re: SPEED INCREASER

Post by rjent »

I have wanted, and have been looking for, a speed increaser for a while now. It is an intriguing SPT that I would like to have. They seem expensive, can't use the full speed of the PowerPro, but they do use the table without the way tubes in the way, and is/was the reason I was interested. With all of that said, I think a router (even a cheap HF one) on a good table is probably a better setup. If you could buy a SI new from SS for a competitive price (compared to a router and table), I think I would do it in a heartbeat.

Blah blah, anyway, just my dos centavos.
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rjent wrote:I have wanted, and have been looking for, a speed increaser for a while now. It is an intriguing SPT that I would like to have. They seem expensive, can't use the full speed of the PowerPro, but they do use the table without the way tubes in the way, and is/was the reason I was interested. With all of that said, I think a router (even a cheap HF one) on a good table is probably a better setup. If you could buy a SI new from SS for a competitive price (compared to a router and table), I think I would do it in a heartbeat.

It runs the MK V at 10,000RPM the same as the Power Pro. :confused: :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I purchased a Speed Increaser about a year ago even though I had upgraded to a PowerPro to get a below the table capability because I didn't have a Double Tilt. It was a mistake. While it was moderately cheaper than Double Tilt it does not give you the full power you get if connected directly to the headstock. I upgraded to the Double Tilt earlier this year and am very happy. I still have the Speed Increaser pretty much new, maybe used it once or twice. Send me a PM if there is any interested in it.
tenbears
Gold Member

Post by tenbears »

I too have a SI that I no longer use. PM for details
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

jsburger wrote:
rjent wrote:I have wanted, and have been looking for, a speed increaser for a while now. It is an intriguing SPT that I would like to have. They seem expensive, can't use the full speed of the PowerPro, but they do use the table without the way tubes in the way, and is/was the reason I was interested. With all of that said, I think a router (even a cheap HF one) on a good table is probably a better setup. If you could buy a SI new from SS for a competitive price (compared to a router and table), I think I would do it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, but the PowerPro running at 10K is too fast an input speed for the SI but if the SI could handle the 10K input from the PP, it would get close to real router speed instead of being limited to 10K ... :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rjent wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Yeah, but the PowerPro running at 10K is too fast an input speed for the SI but if the SI could handle the 10K input from the PP, it would get close to real router speed instead of being limited to 10K ... :)
OK I guess. If you have the PP you don't need the speed increaser.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

The speed increaser gives you the same under table shaping that the Power Pro does without the expense of the Power Pro. Shaper cutters work fine at 10,000RPM. So do most "Router" bits. I keep my PC 7518 motor on my router table at 13,000 or 16,000 most of the time. It goes up to 21,000RPM but I have never used it at that speed.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

jsburger wrote:The speed increaser gives you the same under table shaping that the Power Pro does without the expense of the Power Pro. Shaper cutters work fine at 10,000RPM. So do most "Router" bits. I keep my PC 7518 motor on my router table at 13,000 or 16,000 most of the time. It goes up to 21,000RPM but I have never used it at that speed.
But John, it also gets the way tubes in the way. The speed increaser changes the PP to the horizontal position allowing a true under table router because of it. Yes, the under table routing on the PP is awesome and I use it all the time, but I am just saying that it would be nice to see 20K or so speeds because of the SI without the tubes in the way. If I am going to pay 300 dollars or so, I think it would be better money spend buying a router and building a table.

JMHO :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rjent wrote:
jsburger wrote:The speed increaser gives you the same under table shaping that the Power Pro does without the expense of the Power Pro. Shaper cutters work fine at 10,000RPM. So do most "Router" bits. I keep my PC 7518 motor on my router table at 13,000 or 16,000 most of the time. It goes up to 21,000RPM but I have never used it at that speed.
But John, it also gets the way tubes in the way. The speed increaser changes the PP to the horizontal position allowing a true under table router because of it. Yes, the under table routing on the PP is awesome and I use it all the time, but I am just saying that it would be nice to see 20K or so speeds because of the SI without the tubes in the way. If I am going to pay 300 dollars or so, I think it would be better money spend buying a router and building a table.

JMHO :)
My HO as well!

I would not use the SI with the PP to increase speed above 10K.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange