Shopsmith Shelix Conversion?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Shelix Conversion?

Post by RFGuy »

I agree. Also, the Sheartak only has 40 carbide cutters. I believe the Shelix has at least twice that number of cutters and similar pricing.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:39 pm I am not seeing it being "way cheaper." Didn't check the Shopsmith planer price but for the DeWalt DW735, which I and many others own, there is a $15 USD savings between the Sheartak and the Shelix in the OEM size.

Are you affiliated with or sponsored by Sheartak?
The Shelix cutter head for the SS planer is currently $651 US on their web site. The Sheartak is listed for $590 Canadian. That equals $471 US as of today's exchange rate.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:44 pm I agree. Also, the Sheartak only has 40 carbide cutters. I believe the Shelix has at least twice that number of cutters and similar pricing.
The Shelix has 60 cutter heads.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

algale wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:39 pm I am not seeing it being "way cheaper." Didn't check the Shopsmith planer price but for the DeWalt DW735, which I and many others own, there is a $15 USD savings between the Sheartak and the Shelix in the OEM size.

Are you affiliated with or sponsored by Sheartak?
Depends on where you get it from on price difference and conversion rates. The DeWalt DW735 Shelix in either size is a couple of $ cheaper. https://mywoodcutters.com/SHELIX_for_de ... r_(DW-735)
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I hope you stick around long enough to be an asset to us.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

For my own education....does it make any sense to have a shelix head on a jointer?
I dont think i've seen this-but it seems like it could be beneficial.

b
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

bainin wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:09 am For my own education....does it make any sense to have a shelix head on a jointer?
I dont think i've seen this-but it seems like it could be beneficial.

b
They are available for many jointers. I think it makes a lot of sense to have one. But I think I read of some function that the shelix did not work as well as knives. IIRC that was rabbeting on the jointer, which I think I've done once in my life, and I don't recall why it did not work well. But it's pricey and I'd recommend making sure that you have a jointer that you are very happy with first. The heads don't seem to do as much for resale value in jointers as they do in planers. The SS jointer seems like a good candidate for this but I don't see it on the web site. (Cuz with the unique blade design I don't think we have a carbide option.)

- David
519wood
Bronze Member

Post by 519wood »

I'm not sponsored or affiliated by sheartak. They are just local to me. From what I saw online prices seem better.
procrastinator
Gold Member

Post by procrastinator »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjXt-LkqBY&t=33s

This is the YouTube link of the fellow who claims to be the moving force in getting SHEARTAK to develop the helical cutterhead for SS. The interesting part for me was his claim that all it takes is the removal of three bolts to remove the old and insert the new. If it is that easy I might consider buying a helical cutterhead replacement from one or the other manufactures.
519wood
Bronze Member

Post by 519wood »

Here is the new link, I updated the video and now it had to be changed to a new URL: [youtube]https://youtu.be/Rw-9nUqeKiw[/youtube]

ya, it was a very simple process removing the old cutter. No it wasn't just 3 bolts, I had to remove the outer caps a well but really easy for what it is. Sheartak didn't have a shopsmith cutter when I came to them, so I removed my cutter and brought it to them to measure and they were able to make this replacement helical cutter for me:

https://www.sheartak.com/Shopsmith-12-i ... kc2kGnA5CR

It's very worth the money!
Last edited by 519wood on Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.