Shopsmith Shelix Conversion?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

519wood
Bronze Member

Re: Shopsmith Shelix Conversion?

Post by 519wood »

algale wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:39 pm I am not seeing it being "way cheaper." Didn't check the Shopsmith planer price but for the DeWalt DW735, which I and many others own, there is a $15 USD savings between the Sheartak and the Shelix in the OEM size.
The cost of the Shelix cutter for the shopsmith is about $651USD on Shelix website, The cost of the Sheartak cutter is $590CAD That's $466 USD on todays market. Big price difference!

https://www.sheartak.com/Shopsmith-12-i ... kc2kGnA5CR
ThistleRock
Bronze Member

Shopsmith Pro Planer Sheartak Conversion

Post by ThistleRock »

Just getting started down that road. Anyone else?

I am in the process of replacing the in feed and out feed rollers (5990 model).
I see that I need to sharpen my knives again too :-( My Sheartak cutter head and new 6203 2RS (17x40x12) bearings will be here later this week :-)

I went with Sheartak (versus Shelix) after reading comments about power loss due to the number of cutters contacting the stock. Hopefully fewer (if I am correct) contacts will keep the momentum of rotation stronger. (???)
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Post by chiroindixon »

ThistleRock and all,
I'm looking to add a helical cutterhead to my Pro Planer.
Any one made the upgrade and can report results/satisfaction?
I've started a dialog with Shelix but I'd appreciate any other opinions.
BTW... I hate swapping/sharpening planer blades.
Doc
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

I went with the Sheartak head on a M5 mounted planner.

Install was very straightforward, and the results are phenomenal. Unit is much quieter than standard blades when using. I’m also one that hates swapping and sharpening blades, and I bought the torque wrench to just spin the individual cutter heads when needed.

Needless to say I’m very happy with my purchase and the performance.

Steve
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

One of the benefits of the spiral cutter head noted on the Sheartak website is that the cutters don't require sharpening. Can't believe this is true, perhaps they are claiming this because the individual cutter blocks can be rotated up to 3 times to expose fresh cutting surfaces? Does anyone know what the sharpening cost per block would be once all edges have been dulled? I don't have a Shopsmith planer but have had the two carbide knives on my 15" Makita 2040 sharpened once since I purchased it new in 1985. I believe it cost around $50. The sharpening cost savings math alone doesn't seem to justify the $1100 US cost to retrofit my Makita with the Sheartak cutter head. Not sure how it would quickly pay for itself as claimed. For comparison purposes, the Shelix version for my planer is $1490.

Matanuska

Spiral cutter head.jpg
Spiral cutter head.jpg (286.6 KiB) Viewed 445 times
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Matanuska wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:22 pm One of the benefits of the spiral cutter head noted on the Sheartak website is that the cutters don't require sharpening. Can't believe this is true, perhaps they are claiming this because the individual cutter blocks can be rotated up to 3 times to expose fresh cutting surfaces? Does anyone know what the sharpening cost per block would be once all edges have been dulled? I don't have a Shopsmith planer but have had the two carbide knives on my 15" Makita 2040 sharpened once since I purchased it new in 1985. I believe it cost around $50. The sharpening cost savings math alone doesn't seem to justify the $1100 US cost to retrofit my Makita with the Sheartak cutter head. Not sure how it would quickly pay for itself as claimed. For comparison purposes, the Shelix version for my planer is $1490.

Matanuska
Can they be sharpened? The cutter blocks have no spacing adjustment so they may not engage the wood properly if reduced in size by sharpening.

They claim 40-50 times the life of knives, lasting 10 times longer than HSS knives on each of their 4 sides. Carbide knives should 10 times longer than HSS also. If damaged an individual cutter can be replaced at lower cost than an entire blade.

The original set of cutters on one of those would probably handle my own planing needs for a very long so if the initial cost didn't turn me off I'd find the lack of sharpening a great convenience.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER