Pipe Clamps using electrical conduit?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Pipe Clamps using electrical conduit?

Post by jsburger »

dynabase wrote:I may be wrong but what would you need to clamp so tightly that it would bend a 3/4" pipe? Any examples would be appreciated.
To quote Gene, he said...

"Ain't no way I'm gonna bend my 3/4" pipes."

Remember pipe clamps can be made in any length. A 4' X 1/2" pipe clamp is unlikely to bow or bend. However go out to 8' or 10' and a 1/2" pipe clamp may bow even with moderate pressure. If it bows it racks the clamp pads and you get uneven pressure.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Bowing is one thing, bending is another.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Bowing is one thing, bending is another.
Yes it is. I don't think I said to the contrary. :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
No, you merely changed the subject from bending to bowing. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
OOps, sorry. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
OOps, sorry. :)
de nada
:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

sawmill
Gold Member

Post by sawmill »

All of my pipe clamps are using 1/2 galvanized conduit. I have never had one slip or bend. If you use his wipe the pipe down with something to remove the oil film on it the first time. Some of mine are going on 40 years old
ARCretired
Gold Member

Post by ARCretired »

I haven't bent 3/4" pipe either, but have (slightly bowed) 1/2" pipe. Years ago when clamping butcher block type of construction. Don't remember what brand (sears I think) of clamp. But I remember using a adjustable wrench to extend the handle of the clamp. And then I was surprised to see how much the pipe was bending. I also had some I-beam clamps (probably 50 years old) that had large levers on the screw to put extreme pressure on the clamp. They were awkward to use (used a bolt thru center holes for adjustment) and very heavy so I eventually got rid of them. I finally could afford nicer stuff. In fact, I'm still upgrading some of my older, not so good clamps with better stuff, and also plan on buying some of the new clamp designs (knuckle, etc). In the past I've tended to spend money on tools and barely gotten by with clamps.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Why was I always instructed to use black pipe for pipe clamps. For some reason galvanized was supposed to be bad. WHY???

In fact I didn't know that some folks used galvanized.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:Why was I always instructed to use black pipe for pipe clamps. For some reason galvanized was supposed to be bad. WHY???

In fact I didn't know that some folks used galvanized.
I do not 'know', but hazard a guess that the galvanizing is 'bumpy' and tends to be 'slick'. I have used it successfully though it is prone to slipping.

More recent galvanized pipe seems less bumpy.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝