Pipe Clamps using electrical conduit?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dynabase
Gold Member

Pipe Clamps using electrical conduit?

Post by dynabase »

I am going to add some 3/4 Bessie pipe clamps to my shop. I saw a video on you tube where the guy said he used electrical conduit for the pipe instead of the normal black pipe. Supposed to be easier glue cleanup, will not mark the wood, weight etc. Has anyone here tried using the electrical conduit for their pipe clamps? If so what do you think of that solution? I haven't worked with either so I don't have an opinion and will let wiser heads prevail.

Thanks in advance.

Michael
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Pipe Clamps using electrical conduit?

Post by JPG »

dynabase wrote:I am going to add some 3/4 Bessie pipe clamps to my shop. I saw a video on you tube where the guy said he used electrical conduit for the pipe instead of the normal black pipe. Supposed to be easier glue cleanup, will not mark the wood, weight etc. Has anyone here tried using the electrical conduit for their pipe clamps? If so what do you think of that solution? I haven't worked with either so I don't have an opinion and will let wiser heads prevail.

Thanks in advance.

Michael
Rigid Metal Conduit is essentially electro-galvanized iron pipe.

As such it should work.

Do not confuse that with 'thin wall' conduit.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
artman60
Gold Member

Post by artman60 »

I’m gonna try some aluminum conduit. Same diameter/thread, less weight. I’m getting 50 feet of it for free, so why not try it?
The clock of life is wound but once.
dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

artman60 wrote:I’m gonna try some aluminum conduit. Same diameter/thread, less weight. I’m getting 50 feet of it for free, so why not try it?
Let me know how the aluminum works out.

Here is the video that gave me the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1wNP7N_HW8

Thanks
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

It should be interesting to see how aluminum works. It is about 1/2 weight of iron, but also about 1/2 strength of iron. It should work for light clamping, but might be prone to bending under heavier loads.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

garys wrote:It should be interesting to see how aluminum works. It is about 1/2 weight of iron, but also about 1/2 strength of iron. It should work for light clamping, but might be prone to bending under heavier loads.
I would like to think that thin wall conduit works for this application but I have serious doubt. I'll be watching for the results.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ARCretired
Gold Member

Post by ARCretired »

Couple of comments. (1) Galvanized iron pipe can slip slightly with pipe clamps that have 3 or 4 clamping strips unless you lightly sand and clean the surface. Once you do that the slippage is usually not a problem. (2) With enough clamping force even iron pipe will bow somewhat. I would expect aluminum or thin wall steel conduit to bow with about 1/2 the clamping force. If you exceed the tensile strength of the material the pipe will be permanently slightly bent. (yes I have some bent pipe). If you need the clamp jaws to stay parallel, then perhaps invest in Bessey or similar clamps for those type of projects. (3) The steel clamping strips will lightly score iron pipe under moderately heavy loads. I would expect aluminum would mark much easier. May or not be a problem.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I'm not the strongest guy on earth but, I've only managed to bend 1/2" pipe with clamping pressure. And that was on fully extended 6' clamps.
Ain't no way I'm gonna bend my 3/4" pipes.
dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

I may be wrong but what would you need to clamp so tightly that it would bend a 3/4" pipe? Any examples would be appreciated.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I'd need to put a cheater bar on the handles to get that kind of clamping pressure. And, the handle would probably bend or break before the 3/4" pipe would bend. For the life of me, I can't imagine ever needing that much pressure.