Powerpro users voltage question

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Operation voltage

120 V
50%
220 V
8%
Both
No votes
Don't have a PowerPro but wanted to see results
42%

Total votes: 12

reible
Platinum Member

Powerpro users voltage question

Post by reible »

What voltage do you use for your PowerPro?

If you have more then one then pick the one you use the most and answer for that.

If you have an arrangement to use both note that by answering both.

Ed
Last edited by reible on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Powerpro users voltage question

Post by rjent »

I use 110 because I haven't needed any more power. But all this talk of 220 it's going to make me try it. I have 220 available.
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Curious about 220, but no need for any power issues. Would require installing 220 outlet. Some day I may switch, just to see what the difference would be, if any.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I am like Dick and charlese. I have 220 in the shop but no outlet. It would be easy to put an outlet in at a very minimal cost. I have thought about doing it before just to see if I could tell any difference. My feeling is that one would probably not see much if any difference. As Ed says it has all the power you need on 110.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Usually use 220 since the adapter cord is handy. A couple years back I had wheeled it outside and a 110 outlet was close by so I used it, but was turning very small stuff on the lathe.
I’ve never had any belt slippage at 110 nor 220, but appreciated the intelligence of the electronics when I was trying to force a spade bit to do more work than I should have and it hesitated just like when I get a catch with the lathe.
I imagine it would be just as fine at 110. I think some of the operator error is mitigated by the systems electronics. In my case there’s usually WAY to much operator error to overcome :eek: , but it keeps on trying.
My Dad taught me electrical wiring, so running more outlets is not a big deal, but when I opened up the wall to add insulation, I ran 10 gauge from the box to the ShopSmith dedicated outlet. I do have my air compressor on the same breaker but they NEVER run at the same time. I do have a 60 amp circuit for my welder, but figured since I only needed 7 amps for the ShopSmith, I’d give it its own. :p

Be well,
Ben
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

All these verbal answers are great, but, no one has 'voted'.

This thread is a poll!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

JPG wrote:All these verbal answers are great, but, no one has 'voted'.

This thread is a poll!!!
I see 17 votes???????????????????

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

reible wrote:
JPG wrote:All these verbal answers are great, but, no one has 'voted'.

This thread is a poll!!!
I see 17 votes???????????????????

Ed
I believe one has to vote in a poll before one can see the results. ;)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Billdit
Gold Member

Post by Billdit »

RPD, are you sayn that JPG is not all knowing and the last word on everything? I am devasted.... I thought he was all knowing ... well, I guess I'm gonna have to find a new hero...
😂
Bill

Mark V 1981 upgraded to 520 and PowerPro, w/ Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, and a bunch of previous owners 1980's jigs, accessories, and unknown parts.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Billdit wrote:RPD, are you sayn that JPG is not all knowing and the last word on everything? I am devasted.... I thought he was all knowing ... well, I guess I'm gonna have to find a new hero...
😂
Well he was suspicious that may be the case and thank you for verifying. :cool: :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange