Is that a Pica in your pocket?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Is that a Pica in your pocket?

Post by reible »

If not then head to your Woodcraft store or catalog of visit them online to get 1 or 2.

You may have spotted mine in some of my pictures, it is now my go to marking device for most things. Yes I still use the odd wood pencil but we will get to my preferences there in another upcoming review.

Well yes it is green and I have trouble resisting green tools so it a burden I have to live with. But in this case not only the color is great but this is by far a great tool. Not just a good tool, a great tool.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/pica ... omatic-pen

Just a few comments, I like the thinner tip area for getting in tight areas, tracing things or just marking. Thick lead that is strong but not overly hard. Built in sharpener. Clip to keep it in your pocket. Clip also keeps it from rolling off.... It comes with black "lead" but they sell a white that is great for working on dark surfaces as well as an assorted pack that adds yellow and blue. The marker material can be wiped off hard surfaces with a wet rag.... And wood if you don't mind getting it wet.

I picked my first one up and stuck it away thinking it would be just for tight areas and the like but once I started using it, well it became the go to tool. I didn't even remember where I found it, so many things to try and remember. When I decided I'd like a second one I had to search for them. Lucked out as they were on sale in April flyer from Woodcraft so when I went in the store I picked up another one.

If you do get one let us know how you like it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Is that a Pica in your pocket?

Post by Gene Howe »

Got a couple. Very handy. Line doesn't smudge but is easily removed. Can be sharpened to trace knife lines.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I got mine from Lee Valley several years ago, when they first started stocking them they had an introductory special for one pencil and one black marker. They work well. :)
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.a ... 3509,71121
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Thanks Ed!
I’ve been looking for a narrow barrel. I’ve tried a couple of the markers but find them messy and or lacking. This looks great. Just ordered from Festool with the red & yellow leads. They had free shipping! :D :confused: . Not going to turn down free shipping!

Be well,
Ben
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I like a good drafting lead holder:

https://www.google.com/search?q=draftin ... 93&bih=517

but 99% of the time I just use "a pencil" (as in generic) or now and then a Sloyd knife.
I have maybe 6 or 7 cigar boxes full of pencils from many years ago that I have intentionally collected, mostly business advertising pencils from long gone businesses. I also have a huge herd of new pencils. It is nothing to come home from the state fair, a farm show or a home show with another 20 to 25 free pencils.
I have pencils all over the shops but they have a pesky way of wandering around a lot... I do keep one in the miter gauge slots on the tables of the SS double drill press and I also keep about 3 at the Ridgid TS-3650. The extruded fence rail has a handy groove and since I almost never use the fence on the left side of the blade I use that depression on that side as a pencil groove.
I keep a number of carpenter's pencils and use them for that but don't usually use them in the wood shop.
For some of the crude stuff around the farm a fat lumber crayon is accurate enough. :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill