Oh crap!

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Re: Oh crap!

Post by robinson46176 »

At least for now I'm sticking with my crappy old bench I built almost 40 years ago, it's kind of an old friend by now. If I was going to build a new one or seriously modify the old one I would consider using a set of fully locking standard scaffold casters on it. They lock both the wheels and the swivels very solidly. They have a large wheel if you need to roll on a rough floor or up and down a minor step up like between rooms and even roll easily around out in the yard or drive. Not real cheap but if they fit your need...
https://www.menards.com/main/paint/ladd ... 081808.htm

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I thought about these until I found out the price was $100 a piece
You turn the red wheel to raise or lower leg. Also excellent to level as you can adjust height on a four corners. But the price! :eek:
FF018EBE-6D30-4423-A03B-01EA8AC44C0A.jpeg

I have these on my standalone 18" bandsaw. Very good quality and just what you need to level heavy machinery but over kill for a work bench.
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

I have the red Woodcraft casters on all my tools and have never had a failure (20 years or so). Also used on my sheet goods rack ( very heavy).

Jack
debrown
Gold Member

Post by debrown »

Just received this online flier today from Peachtree Woodworking in Hotlanta. Scroll down aways on the link and they have some you might be interested in.

https://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_062918_july.htm
Don
In the Florida Panhandle

Give me a sense of humor, Lord, Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some pleasure out of life and pass it on to the other folk.
— J. Maurus

'83 500 and '03 520 Anniversary Edition
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Well after all this time I finally fixed my workbench. I ordered replacement caster wheels from woodcraft, they came today and I installed them.

First the problem was not weight. The orange/red coating peeled off. It was like peeling a tough orange. The composition of the product was changed, it crumbled and it simply peeled away. In fairly big pieces. I peeled all four wheels now I have 4 2 1/2 inch casters. I put the new ones on the bench we will see how long they last. I have a set of similar although not the same casters from Shopsmith for mounting on my Shopsmith but after this I am in no rush. The old casters on my Shopsmith lasted 35 years those on my work bench less than 10
9AD50D9F-7C5F-4BB4-A358-3E1A35972595.jpeg
9AD50D9F-7C5F-4BB4-A358-3E1A35972595.jpeg (368.23 KiB) Viewed 20575 times
9AD74953-A468-43B9-B3B5-83EA9AF0BA9A.jpeg
9AD74953-A468-43B9-B3B5-83EA9AF0BA9A.jpeg (347.58 KiB) Viewed 20575 times
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I originally had urethane casters on my workbench. They would develop flat spots if you let the bench sit on them for a day or two. I switched to steel. Not only do I not get flat spots, but the bench rolls a lot easier.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I just ordered a set of these for a rolling cabinet project.
Gonna be a few years before I can tell you if they are good or not :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0754 ... UTF8&psc=1
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

You could go with "ground effect" lift to move it. As a simple example of ground effect I can point you to some old Hoover canister vacs. Long long ago (over 46 years) I was a factory rep for the Hoover Company calling on about 60 east central Indiana stores. There was an older model ball shaped canister vac that had no wheels, it just floated on its exhaust air which was blown into its skirted base. While I was with them they came out with a new series called the Celebrity. The lower priced model in the series used the same ground effect but it was more flat in shape. People called it a Flying Saucer, an Air Ride or a Hover Hoover. There were 2 things wrong with it. One, was that a lot of old houses had pretty wide cracks between the boards on wood floors and when you pulled the unit across them it blew the dirt out of the bottom of the cracks and all over the house. Little old ladies that swept often didn't have a problem but if you swept it 3 times a year whether it needed it or not, a lot of dirt accumulated and blew all over. The second problem was with the Celebrity. Kids quickly learned that they could climb on it and have another kid pull them around with the hose. The lift on those things was remarkable. You almost couldn't push one down tight to the floor and they were not that big around. A plywood platform the size of a bench with a rim around it would lift a great deal of weight powered by the exhaust from a strong vac or compressed air. It wouldn't have to lift the platform clear of the floor, just lift it a tiny bit so it would slide easy.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

robinson46176 wrote:You could go with "ground effect" lift to move it. As a simple example of ground effect I can point you to some old Hoover canister vacs. Long long ago (over 46 years) I was a factory rep for the Hoover Company calling on about 60 east central Indiana stores. There was an older model ball shaped canister vac that had no wheels, it just floated on its exhaust air which was blown into its skirted base. While I was with them they came out with a new series called the Celebrity. The lower priced model in the series used the same ground effect but it was more flat in shape. People called it a Flying Saucer, an Air Ride or a Hover Hoover. There were 2 things wrong with it. One, was that a lot of old houses had pretty wide cracks between the boards on wood floors and when you pulled the unit across them it blew the dirt out of the bottom of the cracks and all over the house. Little old ladies that swept often didn't have a problem but if you swept it 3 times a year whether it needed it or not, a lot of dirt accumulated and blew all over. The second problem was with the Celebrity. Kids quickly learned that they could climb on it and have another kid pull them around with the hose. The lift on those things was remarkable. You almost couldn't push one down tight to the floor and they were not that big around. A plywood platform the size of a bench with a rim around it would lift a great deal of weight powered by the exhaust from a strong vac or compressed air. It wouldn't have to lift the platform clear of the floor, just lift it a tiny bit so it would slide easy.

That’s an intriguing concept you have there, farmer. I just checked the specs on my 2 hp Jet dust collector, and they claim a static pressure of 11.5 inches of water. Per Google, that’s a bit over 0.4 psi.

So let’s say I have a machine with a 2’ x 3’ base. That’s 2*3*144 = 864 square inches of area. So theoretically I’d get up to 864 * 0.4 = 345 pounds of lift. I can’t imagine that airflow rate would be a problem.

Shop vacuums can generate five or six times that much static pressure. But with much lower airflow, I expect that the air gap at the skirt would need to be pretty uniform.
kenbu
Gold Member

Post by kenbu »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I thought about these until I found out the price was $100 a piece
You turn the red wheel to raise or lower leg. Also excellent to level as you can adjust height on a four corners. But the price! :eek:

These are MUCH cheaper on eBay. Search for ‘machine casters.’

Ken