Adapting Ryobi rails to SS. Alternative to 520 rails?

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

CascoBill
Bronze Member

Re: Adapting Ryobi rails to SS. Alternative to 520 rails?

Post by CascoBill »

I'd love to buy your kit. Can you find it?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

P would like to know where I can get one of these kits.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I had one of the BT3000 models. Wife and kids got if for me for a present, bless their hearts. Nice little table saw. That sled was very handy, could be used with the router also. But there were some funny little cam things holding that sled on and they broke on me and the replacements were unavailable. I still had the 510 and my old Greenie but what I really wanted was a cabinet saw and had the good fortune to find a Sawsmith 2000 for sale nearby. I have no experience with 520 rails in comparison but if those Ryobi tables hold up and could be fitted on they would be a nice addition to any Shopsmith. An integral sled in a floating table would be a fantastic addition to a Shopsmith. And would have been a better approach in the Sawsmith than the sliding blade carriage.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

The plastic tabs that the sliding miter table slid on were actually a glass filled resin. Even if they didn't break, they did evenually wear out, and could be turned end for end once to expose new wear surfaces. There are a number of of them available now that they can be 3D printed. I don't know if they would wear as long as the originals but they'll keep the saw in service for a few dollars.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

A lot of parts will wear out and be replaced on a Shopsmith in its lifetime, which is approximately forever. I still have my grandfather's axe, the handle's been replaced three times and the head twice.

If the parts last for a while and are available to replace then it's not that big of a deal.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
Moparfonix
Bronze Member

Post by Moparfonix »

twistsol wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:44 am There was a guy on this forum named Ron May who went by the handle worknhard that sold an adapter kit with instructions on exactly how to do this. Try reaching out to him.

ssbt3.jpg

I bought the kit years ago, but never did use it, and probably never will since I sold my BT3100 to a neighbor who knew I had two shopsmith 520s and iron table saw. I might be able to dig mine up if you can't contact Ron.
Hey Chris, did you ever look and see if you still have your kit? I would be interested in taking it off your hands
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

Moparfonix wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:06 pm
twistsol wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:44 am There was a guy on this forum named Ron May who went by the handle worknhard that sold an adapter kit with instructions on exactly how to do this. Try reaching out to him.

ssbt3.jpg

I bought the kit years ago, but never did use it, and probably never will since I sold my BT3100 to a neighbor who knew I had two shopsmith 520s and iron table saw. I might be able to dig mine up if you can't contact Ron.
Hey Chris, did you ever look and see if you still have your kit? I would be interested in taking it off your hands
I was actually able to locate it and immediately either sold it or gave it away ... I don't recall. Regardless, I no longer have it.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

edma194 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:12 pm A lot of parts will wear out and be replaced on a Shopsmith in its lifetime, which is approximately forever. I still have my grandfather's axe, the handle's been replaced three times and the head twice.

If the parts last for a while and are available to replace then it's not that big of a deal.

I do not want to disturb you but if you replaced both the axe handle and the head you no longer have your grandfathers axe. You have your grandfathers axe which you replaced with a new axe one piece at a time.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:13 am
edma194 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:12 pm A lot of parts will wear out and be replaced on a Shopsmith in its lifetime, which is approximately forever. I still have my grandfather's axe, the handle's been replaced three times and the head twice.

I do not want to disturb you but if you replaced both the axe handle and the head you no longer have your grandfathers axe. You have your grandfathers axe which you replaced with a new axe one piece at a time.
In my book, not if he still has the original wedge! ;) Like I still use my wife's grandfather's Greenie. But with upgrades the only parts left are way tubes and drill chuck...

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The Ship of Theseus has been argued over for centuries. Although the time period is open to question, eventually over time every part of your body will be replaced with new cells. Are you the same person you were when you were born?
Ed from Rhode Island